Chinese-Forums

Private Chinese schools in Tianjin

Pengyou

I have seen several private classes spring up in Tianjin. They are the typical 10 hours a week, usually 2 month long courses that focus on preparing people to pass the HSK. Can anyone recommend one of these? Or tell me how to choose a good one? perhaps tell me which set of books is best?

Thanks

• 11 months later...

This is a very old thread, but for those that are looking for a good private school in Tianjin, Tianjin New Century seems to have a relatively good reputation. Some of my friends have gone there and have held high reviews for them. They also teach Chinese Made Easier.

TLI (Taipei Language Institute), which is excellent, has a branch in Tianjin.

I took classes with them for two months in the fall and it was the fastest progress I've ever made in Chinese.

Their contact information:

Add: B-1808, Sunny Square, Shiyijing Rd., HedongDistrict, Tianjin, China

Tel:(86-22) 2421-8989

Fax: (86-22)2421-9922

E-mail: tianjin@bjtli.sina.net

I'll be starting Taipei Language Institute in April and I will post updates on my experience to the forums.

Palindrome: Glad to hear about your positive experience; it confirms what I've heard from other sources. Stil, I'd appreciate any other details you can share.

Thanks!

- Mike

• 1 month later...

I have attended New Century in Tianjin. At more than 16,000 rmb per semester (tuition only, and I heard it has gone up now), it is one of the more expensive programs in China. They have pretty good results for oral Chinese but are weak in reading/writing. The grammar is also taught intuitively, something which I don't respond well to. I am looking for a diquicun type school that has more of an emphasis on reading/writing.

I would also be interested in finding out if people have had good results with some of these schools. I'm debating doing a private language school vs a public university like Tianda, Nankai, or Waiyu Xueyuan, and am having a hard time deciding if the individualized attention is worth the extra money.

• 3 weeks later...

Your question is a difficult one - is the extra attention worth the extra money. You may want to take a few minutes and browse through other posts on this website for the full picture. I studied at New Century and made good progress in my oral Chinese but when I finished, I found my reading/writing was lacking. I have talked to people who have done the Chinese university thing. It seems that after about 3 years of either both produce the same results. The one on one oral option produces faster oral, but at the expense of your reading/writing. Also...what kind of learning style do you have? I always do better in a small group.