Chinese-Forums

Google as a Chinese dictionary

wix

Did you know you can use google.com as a Chinese dictionary? It doesn't quite work like an ordinary dictionary, but it is very useful for finding technical terms and words that might not be in the dictionary.

Just enter the English word you are looking for and then a common Chinese character such as the possessive particle "de". Google it and look through the results. You will often find the English word near the Chinese word you are looking for.

I used this method to find a translation for "permaculture" although I could only find a single webpage with the Chinese translation of this word.

I've done something similar when I was trying to find the Chinese name of an antibiotic for someone. I used google's chinese site http://www.google.com.cn and choose the only search Chinese sites option and searched for the antibiotic in English. It chucked up a load of pages from pharmaceutical companies that had both the English and Chinese names on.

Roddy

• 3 weeks later...