Chinese-Forums

Chinese Character for Mother

cwest

I was woundering if someone could help me out in finding or providing me with a real good image of the chinese character for Mother. It has very special meaning between my mom since she has passed away and I'm having a hard time finding the correct one.

Thanks in advanced.

Chris.

妣(bǐ ), also as 先妣, is a literary expression of someone's mother only when she has passed away. it is not a daily Chinese, usually used in a memorial or written on a tombstone something.

there is a Chinese idiom, 如丧考妣(rú sàng kǎo bǐ ), which describes someone who is extremely sad, like his parents passed away.

but it might be not suitable for a tattoo i think. also it is kind of weird to get a tattoo of a character of mother. a tattoo with the name of mom is better. :-?

Hmmm 嬤 and 嫲 are commonly used in written dialect to mean "Grandmother".

While I agree that the modern usage of this character is for "grandmother", many sources seem to indicate that 嬤 and 媽 are variants of each other, see The Chinese Etymology Page

P.s.

I have never seen 嫲 before, and by all acounts it is not in the standard character set, where did you come across this character? Is it fairly common in your daily discourse?

What's wrong with having "Grandmother" as a tattoo, huh ????

Erm haha lol no problem :mrgreen: , coz nipponman said

Personally, I prefer 嬤 ma1. 嬤嬤 looks cooler than 媽媽 IMO.

so, he is implying that he wanna use 嬤嬤 as "Mother", so I told him 嬤嬤 can mean Grandma, so yar, that's it.

While I agree that the modern usage of this character is for "grandmother", many sources seem to indicate that 嬤 and 媽 are variants of each other, see The Chinese Etymology

I see, think the usage is from the need for some to write out 方言, like Cantonese and Hokkien.

I have never seen 嫲 before, and by all acounts it is not in the standard character set, where did you come across this character? Is it fairly common in your daily discourse?

I saw before in some Taiwanese show/webpage I think, not 100% sure, as 阿嫲 :mrgreen: