Chinese-Forums

Chinese Animation 梁山伯與祝英台

skylee

I have watched three movie versions of 梁山伯與祝英台 -- China's Romeo and Juliet.

Two versions were made by Shaw Brothers and Cathay in the '60s respectively. The last version was directed by Tsui Hark in the early '90s.

Do you mean there is another movie coming out based on this story?

Even though Tsui Hark's version is not the best per my opinion, it adheres most closely to history.

This China version of Romeo and Juliet happened at Eastern Jin Dynasty (about A.D. 300). What was common at that time?

Guys liked to dress like girls and put on heavy makeup. (That was probably why 祝英台 had not been found that he was actually she even after 3-years of eating/sleeping/studying together with guys.)

In Tsui Hark's movie, the male and female looked indistinguishable.

Yes heavy make-up. I particularly like the scene where 祝英台's heavy bridal make-up gets washed off by the rain when she arrives at 梁山伯's grave.

This is a very popular story indeed (history or not I do not know), which gets presented in various forms of performing arts. There is a famous symphony for this story (梁祝協奏曲). A few years ago, a HK drama company staged it as a musical, which in my opinion was a very good production. And of course it is also made into ballet and TV drama.

It is so popular that when I use the pinyin input method to type 梁 (liang), 山伯 (shanbo) will automatically come up next. If I type 祝 (zhu), the computer will also offer me 英台 (yingtai).

I have seen big ad of this animated film put up in Chongqing, promoting it as 動畫喜劇, which is quite amazing given the sad ending of the story. But has anyone seen it yet?

• 3 weeks later...

Die Zeichentrickfilm von Liang,Shanbo und Zhu,Yintai finde ich sehr enttäuscht. Die Schmetterlingsliebesgeschichte( auf deutsch) ist zwar eine sehr schöne alte Geschichte, aber die Zeichentrickfilm ist mir

sehr enttäuscht obwohl der sehr schöne Musik dabei ist.

Wenn ihr mehr Informationen über die Schmetterlingsliebesgeschichte( auf Englisch heisst "Butterfly Lovers") wissen möchtet, könnte ihr

www.liangzhu.org besuchen. Dort gibt es viele Informationen darüber.