Chinese-Forums

Asking for information about..

Guest Carmen

Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm from Holland.

For school I have to make an Essay about chinese funerals. My topic is what kind of clothing they have to wear during a chinese funeral, both family and also the other guests. I was Wondering If any one of you might help me? I'd Really would like that.

I hope that one of you could help me with this.

Carmen

The mourning attire of old rural tradition consisted of a complex variety of rough hemp garments with colors that reflected varying geneological relationships to the deceased. Guests usually wore all white clothing.

Nowadays the modern Chinese funeral tradition still maintains the traditional white color but male relatives may wear black armbands and female relatives wear white cloth flowers on their pocket or in their hair.

If you go far enough into the Chinese countryside you might still see a ceremony with mourners wearing the traditional hemp garments but most people in China today abide by the simple funeral rites made common practice after 1949.