Chinese-Forums

How is the BCLU classroom experience?

croyd

I'm taking the beginner class at BCLU for learning Mandarin. I was wondering what the classroom experience is like. i.e. does the teacher only speak Mandarin? I'm just trying to get a feel for how it's going to be so I can prepare myself now.

Is March a non-busy time? Will that mean there may be less students in the class? How easy is it to jump to a higher level? I took Mandarin lessons when I was a kid but I think I've forgotten most of it. However, I'm concerned that if I actually might have retained more knowledge than I thought, the beginner class may be a bit too slow.

Thanks,

-Croyd

During a class, a couple of my teachers will lapse into French or sometimes Spanish but almost never English......the classes is mostly carried out in Mandarin though, with translation being both rare and pointless....they use other methods to point out their meaning to those with no understanding,

I know that changing class is possible because my teacher asked me if I wanted to go to a more advanced class.....I told her I'd wait a while.....my problem is that I have an ok grasp of the language from an oral and aural standpoint....but I'm a total beginner when it comes to reading and writing....and the speaking classes do involve needing to be able to read what your actually saying.

Cheers