Chinese-Forums

Remote Places to Study

roddy

If you are looking for something nicer, check out Shandong University's campus in Weihai, a coastal city. I know that there are a small number of foreigners studying in Yantai as well, another beautiful coastal Chinese city, both of them are in Shandong. These cities are by no means "remote" but they are much smaller than the big cities.

• 1 year later...

i am planning to take a semester and actually attempt to improve my chinese, and am leaning towards somewhere other than beijing. i saw the excellent info posted about jiamusi. anyone else studied there or elsewhere 'off the beaten trail'?

• 6 months later...

How's about Shanxi Agricultural University? It's in a town of only 40,000, an incredibly small number for a place with a university. It is also a rural institution -- as the Wikipedia page says, it is "one of the few remaining Chinese agricultural universities situated in a farming area". I suspect if you're looking for remote, you will find no better place than this.

Also, it is open to international students. In fact, a few Oberlin graduates are sent there yearly.