Chinese-Forums

Should I Learn Mandarin or Cantonese

Guest swatsley

I like the way CCTV people say zh-, ch-, sh- (好聽). But when I watch Taiwan TV, it seems that everything becomes z-, c-, s- or j-, q-, x- (不好聽).

BTW, I don't like the way Jiang Wen (roddy's favourite) speaks. He rolls his tongue too much.

Just my humble opinions. :oops:

sorry if my words offended anybody. well the opinion is not pointed at any particular person, instead it's just widely-believed view among ppl around me in shanghai.

my recommendation is that you'd start from standard mainland mandarin. beijing dialect is not bad really, but for a foreigner, it may be too hard to be a master in it. well if u've got enough confidence, just do it ^__^

Faye Wang and Leon Lai don't even speak fluent Cantonese but also sing popular Cantonese songs.

Faye speaks Cantonese with an accent distinctly different from her mainland counterparts. And the accent is quite beautiful.

Leon Lai... I thought he came to Hong Kong when he was very young, and he speaks Cantonese with quite an obvious Hong Kong accent actually.