Chinese-Forums

Update mobile phone SW to support simplified Chinese

Jockster

Hi,.

I have a Samsung SGH-X460 that I bought in Europe just over a year ago. I'd like to be able to send text messages in simplified Chinese, and suppose that it should be technically possible to update the software in the phone to Chinese/English (currently it is English + Scandinavian languages).

Is there anyone in the forum that has done this in China? Is it possible to take the phone to a store and get it updated for a small consideration? Are there technical reasons why it wouldn't work?

谢谢!

Every mobil phone manufacturer (Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, etc) has their own procudure for modding/flexing/flashing the phone. This activity is generally not supported by the manufacturer, although I do not understand why. I have a Motorola Raz and found a shop that could replace the language pack with one that supported English and Simplified Chinese - but it was not exactly legal. I have no idea about Samsung, but I found a number of websites that explained how to do it to a Motorola and what tools you need.

Probably the best way to get a phone that does SMS in English and Chinese is to buy it in Hong Kong.

I had no problem getting my American Samsung reflashed to Chinese/ English in Beijing. I took it to a China Mobile shop and left it ovenight at their in-house workshop. It cost about 150 kuai.

Some of the software changed slightly (some menus and functions were altered... and I ended with a lot more ringtones!) but everything works great and I can now text in hanzi.

Just make sure all your numbers are saved on your SIM card or write them down. Anything saved in the phone itself will be wiped out with the reflash.

Updating the firmware isn't too uncommon a procedure, and as long as your model is sold in China it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to do it - as pointed out, make sure you have all info backed up. If you have a data cable to connect phone to PC you could possibly do it yourself.

Roddy