Chinese-Forums

Apartment in Kunming Wanted

cilly999

Hi everybody! I'm an Italian student and i will be staying in Kunming for about a month to study Mandarin. Does anybody have a free room to rent in their apartment? Do you know if there's a particular place in Kunming where people post their announcement? Grazie..

Hey! Lots of foreigners post advertisements for this kind of thing in the Wicker Basket restaurants. One of them is in Bei Chen Xiao Qu 北辰小区 and the other is in Chun Yuan Xiao Qu 春苑小区 Then there are also lots of restaurants and bars frequented by foreigners near Yunnan University on Wen Lin Jie 文林街 and Wen Hua Xiang 文化巷. You're sure to meet some foreigners around there.

Did you try checking out the guesthouse at Yunnan University? They rent by the day ( a little expensive). For one month it would be great for your Chinese if you could stay with a Chinese family, but I don't know how you would go abt setting that up. Hopefully someone on this forum will be able to give you some better advice or even have sth. available.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jeff,

YNU offers two choices as far as on-campus housing options: the foreign students dormitory and the foreign students hotel. The dormitory is 4ppl to a room and runs around 30RMB/night. The hotel is 1 person to a room (although there are two twin beds) for 80RMB/night. The hotel is ok, but I wouldn't want to stay there longer than a few weeks. Hot water only at nights for a couple hours starting at 8PM. It's pretty much a good place to start off with until you get your feet weet and find another apartment. I ended up spending a little over two weeks there--it took me a little longer to find an apartment since I'm planning on staying in Kunming for only 3 months.

I can't comment on the classes at YNU, becaue I'm doing the one-on-one (tutoring) sessions. I've been very impressed so far with the teachers that have been assigned to me. I was kind of overwhelmed at how big an operation the chinese language classes are here at YNU (and in Kunming in general). If you want to get away from the laowai circuit, this may not be the best location for you, especially if you think you'll spend most of your time in the university area. However, if you're a little independent, it's easy to break away from the foreigner circuit and mix with the locals. Kunming strikes me as a good transition city--- plenty of opportunity to interact with locals, but the support of other foreigners if you need help or have questions.

Some of the administrative staff have been very supportive and helpful, while others have been less so. I think it just depends on the person, unfortunately. Don't expect anyone to hold your hand here.

Let me know if you have any other questions. -Ninjabyrd