Chinese-Forums

Asian MS Word

taobenli

Hi, all-

I have Windows XP on my laptop, and I would like to have the ability to word process in Chinese (simplified and traditional) and Korean, and Japanese too if possible. I've put it off but it's really getting silly...I'm a grad student and need these functions on my own computer.

Can someone point me to the right web address to download it? Will I need to pay or will it be free as long as I have Windows XP?

taobenli

You don't need a specific asian version of Word. If you install East-Asian Language Support in Windows XP you should be able to type in those languages in an english version of Word )and an english version of XP).

You should be able to install the East-Asian files through the "Regional and Language Options" in Control Panel.

The link below also covers Korean and Japanese input methods for XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/IME_Paper.mspx

If you want to type in pinyin and display traditional characters then you will need a 75 Mb download called MSPY.msi. The title is MicrosoftPinyin IME 2003. It is free and well worth it.

Amongst other major improvements the character selection lists are much easier to read.

you're much better off loading the english language version of word. otherwise all the

menus and pop-up windows are in chinese. when you load word, you'll also need the

second disc in the windows package (service pack 2), which you will need to add east

asian language support.