Chinese-Forums

contemporary shufa (calligraphy)

niubi

following are some book recommendations on contemporary shufa 書法(calligraphy) for anyone interested. first i will begin with some chinese language books:

20 shiji mo zhongguo shufa sichao 20世紀末中國書法思潮 - a series of 5 volumes on contemporary chinese calligraphy history & criticism.

zhongguo dangdai yishu qingxiang congshu: shufa zhuyi 中國當代藝術傾向叢書-書法主義 - i have 3 other books in this series which began to be published in 2002. on the inside back cover they noted that the volume on calligraphy would be called shufa yishu 書法藝術. regardless, this series of what will be 24 slim volumes on contemporary chinese art will be a great introduction to the history and criticism in the field.

there are few english language books on subject. the 3 in my library are:

the art of calligraphy in modern china

brushed voices: calligraphy in contemporary china

brushes with power: modern politics and the chinese art of calligraphy

anyone else interested in this topic who may have other recommendations, please post them :D

thanks

yeah, it works fine for me. i wonder if it is a great firewall of china issue, or perhaps some filtering is done on the amazon side for people viewing their site with foreign IP (or chinese) addresses. perhaps you should try using a proxy with the urls?

• 2 weeks later...
yeah, it works fine for me. i wonder if it is a great firewall of china issue, or perhaps some filtering is done on the amazon side for people viewing their site with foreign IP (or chinese) addresses. perhaps you should try using a proxy with the urls?

it works fine for me too...and here is beijing! my guess is that it SB a personal firewall preference issue

20042111572652001.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to experiment with chinese calligraphy digitally.

For example I recently obtained Painter 7 which I hear is great for all types of artistic endeavors. However when it comes to "chinese calligraphy" I wonder if it will have the appropriate chinese brushes to use.

Perhaps people in here might now of add-ons to this programs or others.

I am using Windows Xp with the IME simplified/traditional.

I would love to hear from any of your comments especially those doing this type of work.

Thanks.