Chinese-Forums

what do you call this?

semantic nuance

Hi,

I need help. What do you call this when you mean to say one thing but turns out the other,for example, you mean to say: What did you say? But it turns out to be: What did you shay? 'say' into 'shay' is caused because, say, the speaker's choked at the moment when he says the word? Is there an expression for that? Could you please make an example sentence for me? Thanks in advance.:)

You may say something like:

She mispronounced "say" as "shay".

He made a slip of the tongue by saying "mystery" instead of "history".

There are also words such as "spoonerism" and "transposition" but they may mean something more specific and technical.

I couldn't think of a single word that conveyed a sense of slurred words due to nervousness. Instead, I found a few words that give the sense of mispronounced words (as in substituting "shay" for "say"), and a few words can be used in the context of someone mispronouncing words due to nervousness. Other people may have better suggestions, but I hope this helps get the ball rolling.

The following two words usually refer to mispronounced words without any connotations about the cause being due to nervousness:

• garble: To mix up or distort to such an extent as to make misleading or incomprehensible.
  • slur: To pronounce indistinctly.

ex: "After the sixth beer within the hour, I could only manage to mutter a few garbled and slurred words before passing out on the floor."

ex: "The more I drink, the more I slur my words."

ex: "In the low-quality recording, his voice sounded rather garbled."

The following three words can be associated with mispronunciations due to nervousness. However, the mispronunciations associated with these words are usually about pauses in cadence or repetition of words, such as saying, "Um....um...I would l-l-l-like to say som-som-something now.":

• stutter: To speak or utter with a spasmodic repetition or prolongation of sounds.
  • stammer: A way of speaking characterized by involuntary pauses or repetitions.
  • falter: To speak hesitatingly; stammer.

ex: "Under the spotlight, he stuttered, stammered, and faltered his way through the speech."

ex: "I hope I don't start stuttering while delivering my senior presentation to the class."

ex: "Even seasoned news anchors sometimes falter during live broadcasts."

I never heard anyone use this word in real life, but its definition captures some of your idea:

• splutter: To speak hastily and incoherently, as when confused or angry.

All of these definitions are from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition.

What about when you're thinking too fast for your speech and it comes out "to make a long shory stort" or something similar where the sounds from words are switched? Or actually sometimes words are even switched in placement within the sentence. This actually happens to people often and must have a term.