Chinese-Forums

Translation needed (a note for the starers)

雅各

If you're sensitive to these things, going through this with a small child must be definitely worse. As I don't have children, I don't really know how I would react if people would treat my own child in any way that I find less than appropriate, but I think overreacting is understandable. And while I understand the logic of 'behaving better in front of the kids', I know of no kid on this Earth who enjoys being singled out as different, no matter what Dad does.

The message you want us to translate is, IMHO, too convoluted, your intended irony is going to be lost in translation -- gato's suggestion is much better. You could also add some information about yourself, how old the child is, where you guys are from, how much you like China, you know, answers to the usual questions that people will ask you after 几岁. I think there's nothing wrong about giving out a leaflet to people (as long as you don't print insults), after all that's what you'd do if you were mute. :)

Scroll up and check it again, Gato didn't help you with your translation, he suggested you a different and softer approach only.

So in your mind you have only two options? Either giving them a slip or cursing them? You can't come up with a third option??

Come on, you're called a dreg and you want to call others a scum, then you try to be unkind to the people in Wuhan and what do you expect they will give you?

If a foreigner gives me a slip or a curse, I would think she is crazy, and she will be a topic of joke. So you have two options, you are either stared without complaining, or you want others to think you're crazy.

请问,不要看看我们。(met with silence)

(I continue): 不要动他。如果你感冒,你给他!(dopey stare continues)

(I try to elaborate): 你认识他吗?不认识。再见!

(all met with silence and a continued glazed look reflecting a stupidity which you're all defending).

Considering the fact that your Chinese is poor (you say so yourself, and it also shows in this post), it is quite likely that this lady just didn't understand you. And therefore just glared at you, still waiting for a reply like 'liang sui'.

For the rest, see my post on page one.

And to join in the general flaming in this thread: if you want to criticize the people of New Guinea, do consider spelling it correctly.

Look on the bright side - if your Chinese is poor, this is a great time to practise it. You know what people are going to ask you, you can try out your grammar and new sentence patterns.

Like others said, it ain't going to go away - might as well shout at the wind.

I wonder how it must feel to read that one has 580 keigo shoved up one's arse. I must admit it is a good line. I know a few Japanese people I would like to try it on, but I'm not sure Hashirikata's post warranted it. :mrgreen:

Hello everyone,

ummmm, I do not want to get mixed up in this too much at all. Thanks to a certain reader out there informing me about this thread and a big Happy Birthday to that reader!! haha

I have personally traveled over to 雅各's school (which is a short 20 minute bus ride from my school) to meet with him. I just want to say that this whole thing is a big big misunderstanding. I think Carlo said it the best, in that overreacting is indeed understandable. (a quick BTW, I have always wanted to say this, Carlo: I am a fan of your Chinese blog, man. I have read almost all the entries. I know you don't need anymore compliments, but that is the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my entire life. I am not kidding at all. Bravo.)

Anyway, while treating me out to eat, I could not help but be impressed by 雅各's hospitality and warmth. He then mentioned to me a few incidents regarding the above mentioned constant questioning of his baby and so on...it seems to have finally gotten to him. Why did Carlo say that overreacting is understandable? I believe any foreigner that noticeably stands out (and even some Chinese) that has lived in China for a period of time knows why it is understandable. And if you live in China but still do not know why, well...just wait a little longer, you will. Obviously in his frustration he came here looking for help, in the least someone to sympathize with (even if he did not say it). When he did not get either of the two in some of the replies, well I believe he came across as someone who does not do his true and real character justice. Just want to say again, despite how it may seem from these posts, 雅各 is a really good guy with a genuine passion to learn Chinese.

Funny enough, I recently had an episode with people staring and saying shit. I have been here for over six months and before it never bothered me, perhaps because it was expected. But one day, trust me, it will get to you. I nearly flipped and threw my pen at an old man while listening to his shit and walking by him. It then sparked a heated debate between me and two of my Chinese friends about why people act like this, and if this is a question of people not having manners or a question of culture. And along with everyone else they said these people (old and young) don't know any better, it's just a culture difference, and all that great stuff that has been repeated in this (and many other) threads. However, I came up with many counter arguments that had them (my Chinese friends) thinking otherwise.

But alas, these conversations, debates, and yes 雅各 the pieces of paper that you intend to hand to people, will not change China and her goofy ways. The only thing I can tell you (and everyday continue to tell myself) is to do your best to ignore the shit that is around you, don't think about it, don't talk about it, don't write about it, just try to be happy. Shit does not deserve time and thought, focus on what is important to you, studying Chinese and raising a healthy family.

雅各 please email me when you have the time. I want to talk to you about my further suggestions for this problem privately. And if you do feel the need to gripe in the future, my email box is always welcome!! We all need to do some griping every now and then! :mrgreen:

Good luck and take it ez!

HJ

Thanks for your support.

Yes, it's incredible really. Come with a silly idea and the whole world falls on your head. People I've never even met before come out of the woodwork to have a go - mostly paraphrasing each other and agreeing with each other to lend each other strength in their numbers. One person appears, criticises the original idea, and disappears. The next person appears, says I've been rude, and disappears. A third person comes, says my Chinese is poor, and disappears. Unlike them, I certainly would have responded to hashirikata to his face the way I did if he spoke to me like that in person.:twisted:

Given the context, I'm totally amazed by comments like: "you said it yourself and your last post certainly indicates that your Chinese is poor..." followed with a correction on my spelling of New Guinea!!! - contributions to a debate, to be sure.

Pazu is mostly incoherent and doesn't actually follow up on any points that have been put to him (for example his self confessed name calling without actually reading entire threads) - and as if Adrianlondon was offering anything new!!!

I thought that with 赫杰's words, the matter could be let to rest but this "雅各" dumbhead just simply couldn't learn a thing, couldn't leave the matter to rest! :nono

(赫杰, having seen 雅各's post after yours, I just can't even believe what you said about him is true at all. This man is sub-normal, he simply doesn't have any sense and everything is just wasted on him! :wall )

People I've never even met before come out of the woodwork to have a go - mostly paraphrasing each other and agreeing with each other to lend each other strength in their numbers. One person appears, criticises the original idea, and disappears. The next person appears, says I've been rude, and disappears. A third person comes, says my Chinese is poor, and disappears.
雅各, if everyone's conspiring to have a go at you, why don't you just get lost and never be seen again? And have you ever stopped and wondered what kind of stinking rag you are that everyone dislikes you this much ???

"hashirikata", as I've pretty much maintained, and as your last post confirms. YOU are the problem in the first place.

Look at the first and second posts on this thread and think for yourself why I got angry with you. On seeing my silly idea, you could have one of done 4 things:

1. begrudgingly assisted

2. ignored the thread

3. responded that a note like that isn't a good idea. but without rushing, and actually being the first, to introduce perjorative language to the thread.

4. responded with ridicule.

You chose option 4. Live with it buddy, and accept some of the world's problems as your own! I'm surprised at this late stage you somehow think it's me that's in the wrong.

You said "赫杰, having seen 雅各's post after yours, I just can't even believe what you said about him is true at all". I'd be quite happy to prove him right: if you're ever in Wuhan, China, do drop in. We have a great Sichan restaurant nearby. I'll pay. I really am looking forward to meeting you. :twisted:

I noticed nobody wanted to supply a direct translations so here goes:

你好朋友

我是美国傻瓜。我不太聪明也不太了解你们中国的文化。请继续盯着看我。我无所谓。你也可以摩我的宝贝。如果你感兴趣你也可以跟我的太太做爱。但是如果你是男的你可以跟我做爱因为我是同性恋。跟我一样的人应该回国但是我太笨。

谢谢

Print it off, cut it out, photocopy it and hand them this note and I'm sure you'll be OK

:mrgreen:

Hi Crivens,

My previous post and self-confession (as Lu hastened to point out) indicate that my Chinese isn't that great. But I know about 2000 characters, which IMHO is doing OK, and is a great launching pad for starting to make sentences and work on disyllables (sp?). And if I can't understand a line of text, I key it into http://www.adsotrans.com (which I found out about courtesy of the people on this forum).

There have been countless requests from all sides for everyone to calm down and shut up. And you have come in at a late stage and posted what you posted. OK: I'm far from perfect, but WHAT DO YOU HOPE TO ACHIEVE BY GIVING ME FURTHER SHIT???? HAVE YOU EVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ME IN THE PAST???? OR DO YOU THINK MY OTHER DETRACTORS ON THIS THREAD NEED STICKING UP FOR????

雅各

I hoped to achieve nothing more than giving myself and others a chuckle. And if it wound you up, which it undoubtedly has, then all the better.

I don't think a day after the posting is that late a stage and I feel I'm perfectly entitled to give my opinion. A person coming on to a chinese language and culture board to have a go at the chinese can only expect nothing but abuse in the same way that a Man Utd fan might be flamed by a Liverpool fan for posting abuse about his supported team on a message board.

Take a chill pill man. And if you can't cope with the stares you need to have a serious think about where you want to live your life. It looks like your anger extends deeper than just an annoyance at the Chinese. Have you ever considered anger management?

At least do us the decency of posting these sort of messages on asiaxpat.com where you might find likeminded "ex-pats" with similar topics to moan about.