Chinese-Forums

saving chinese titled files when burning a cd

you101

i just made a back-up copy of some of my files. some of them have chinese file names. after burning the cd, if found out that the file names with chinese file names were changeed into letters and numbers ex. 104A~82.doc

is there any way i can retian the orig chinese file names when burning them to a cd?

• 2 weeks later...

Although I haven't done this but I do believe the software you use, Nero for example, needs to be in its native language - Chinese in this case. For that matter, you probably need to run Chinese version of Windows, too. I can switch locale on my PC (English WinXP) but it doesn't burn anything in Chinese.

i've had similar problems in the past... i don't think i ever resolved the problem though... one thing you may want to try is just burning the same cd with different settings (joilet v.s. non-joilet naming,etc etc) and test the cd's to see if any settings help the files maintain their correct names.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently using English version of Windows XP, which configures the "Non-Unicode" setting as simplified Chinese. I use Nero too, and all the default settings remain intact. It works well when burning something of Chinese names.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, i think i figured out the problem. To be able to burn files with chinese encoded filenames with Nero, your pc has to be set to use that encoding as its the "language for non-unicode programs" option under language and regional settings. See the screenshots i posted in another thread, http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/8501-setup-was-unable-to-install-the-chosen-locale,

If you set it to PRC, you should be able to burn both traditional & simplified characters. The only other thing that could prevent you from doing so is the naming options in nero- Set it to

"ISO 9660:1999" and it should work fine- this has the highest support for different character encodings, although less backwards compatability (e.g. if you try to play an mp3 cd burnt this way on most mp3 cd players or dvd players, it won't play). For backing up, or using on windows though, this option should be fine.

Remember if you are trying to read the cd/dvd on another pc, they will need to have similar settings in the language options to read the files.

Hope this helps,

Keith

418_thumb.attach