Chinese-Forums

Poems everyone should know...

randall_flagg

The ability to recite the following poems will be expected of you once Chinese people find out your Mandarin exceeds the ability to count peanuts and order a beer:

春晓 The famous "falling flowers" poem, always impresses the Chinese gals

登鹳雀楼 Use this one out loud as you reach the top of a pagoda's staircase.

凉州词 This is a MUST for the long train ride to Dunhuang, you'll get free food afterwards

悯农 This is my favorite one to show off at the banquet table. (Wait until after they discover you know how to hold chopsticks.)

The above 4, plus 静夜思 mentioned above, complete the condensed version of 300 Tang Poems that you should know in order to make Chinese people believe you are Li Bai's laowai reincarnation.

• Like 2

thanks, chenpv! downloaded it and it's working -- except for that none of the characters are comming out OK. I can't even navigate through the programme. But I found the same thing online, I think.

Just wanted to share this magnificent link that I found.

Klick on the name of the poem and then listen to the MP3 version or watch a flash movie. Don’t trust the pinyin on the initial page, though, it often seems flawed. The pinyin the flash movie gives you seems to be very accurate. Also, the flash offers a mini-lesson covering new words, the contents of the poem and sometimes tells on what occasion reciting this poems seems most appropriate. This page is awesome, all that it is lacking is an English translation of those poems. I’m still looking for that.

http://www.chinese-learner.com/chinese-literature-poems/learn-chinese-literature-poems.php

Skylee, are you saying that 王菲 sings 明月几时有 using Cantonese pronunciation? I never knew! You have NO idea how often I have listened to that song. It's kind of tacky, I know, I know, but I LOVE this song. Don't know if I would say that about ANY other song out there. If someone told me that I could ony listen to one song until death will free me from this red dust, I would ask for this song -- and smile when I ask for it.