Chinese-Forums

Kunming --- Which University

Dirk

Hi !

I arrived 4 days ago in Kunming.

I decided to stay here for a while.

and the best way to do it I thought would be to apply for a university and study the Chinese language.

My problem is that there are atleast 4 Univirsities that offer courses to foreigners.

So ..... who can help me on deciding where to study ?

I don't have personal experience with the universities, but my college in the States (which is fairly presitgious) has a Summer program at Yunnan University. They have some Yunnan University professors teaching the courses, so I tend to think those professors must be pretty good or my college wouldn't have the program. Then again, it doesn't mean you would have those same professors.

It's hard to know which one is best unless you can sit in a class and watch. It might be worth asking if you can watch a class or two before signing up. I would ask.

• 3 months later...

I am thinking of going to Kunming. Does any body know if there is a university there that allows you to live in their dorms along with the other Chinese students?

Also if anybody knows the websites of all the universities there, that would be nice.

Yunnan Normal University has the best reputation in the city for Chinese language instruction. It gets a load of students each year, especially from Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and Korea. There are also quite a few Westerners and Japanese studying there too. Yunnan University gets mixed reviews. Its the best school in Kunming for Chinese students, but its Chinese language program is not as highly regarded as YNU's. The classes tend to be bigger. Of course, any university course has its drawbacks. I'm not personally sure that any of the university courses in Kunming are really worth it. I took a semester at YNU but now I just study on my own. Most people I know don't stay enrolled in university for more than a year at the most.

None of the schools, as far as I know, will let you room with Chinese students. You can live in the dorms, they are foreign student's dorms. You'll be placed with other foreigners studying Chinese, and you might find, if your roomate was, say, Korean, that Chinese would be your common language anyhow. You probably wouldn't want to live in a Chinese dorm with the Chinese students. They mostly room at least 5 or 6 to a tiny dorm room and have communal bathrooms. Really not a very comfortable setup.