Chinese-Forums

Online Chinese Number Converter

weixiaoma

Hello, all! I've recently written the first online Chinese-Arabic number conversion tool that actually generates proper results! I think this could be useful for lower level Chinese students. You can just copy Chinese numbers you see online into the tool and see them converted into digits. Here are some of the features:

• Traditional and simplified characters are both supported, and so are clerical numbers.
  • Floating point numbers can be placed before 萬(万), 億(亿), and 兆. For example, 14.2万 = 142000
  • Numbers with decimals, such as "三點一四 = 3.14" are properly converted
  • Commas can optionally be included in the converted numbers. For example, 五萬零三十 = 50,030
  • Several numbers can be entered on separate lines and converted simultaneously
  • Buttons are provided for entering Chinese characters without the need of an IME.
  • Unlike virtually every other Chinese tool out there, this one is written entirely in JavaScript. You don't have to wait for a page load every time you convert something.

See my blog post on toshuo.com for more information.

Okay, I can't say for sure that there weren't any decent Chinese number tools before, but I couldn't find one myself and John didn't know of a decent one either. The top tools Google turned up were terrible. The #1 hit converts 五千八 into 5008, and 一千兩百 into 1100.

Hopefully now a bit less terrible, I've updated the Chinese number converter at http://www.mandarintools.com/numbers.html

It converts Chinese to English and English to Chinese numbers, auto-detecting the proper conversion direction. It can output the Chinese numbers in traditional characters, simp. characters, pinyin, or daxie (formal numbers). It can output the English number as Arabic numerals (with or without commas) and as words (e.g. "one hundred and fifty"). Conversion from Chinese ordinal numbers (e.g. 第五十四) is also supported.

Forum members are invited to try it out and report errors.