Chinese-Forums

finding copies of Wenlin for the Mac in China

venture160

Hi everyone,

I am currently in China studying, and I am having a real hard time finding myself a copy of Wenlin for the MAC. All of the apple dealers at ZhongGuanCun in Beijing have never heard of it, and all of my friends that have it use PC's, anyone know of any Chinese websites that could point me in the right direction? I am dying over here without a sturdy Chinese software program, every week I have to read gobloads of journal articles for some classes and using the old Oxford Dictiory and my big Longman its painfully slow. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!! Thanks!

Venture160

While it's probably a violation of posting rule #7 to answer requests for software cracks, I'll point you to a few free solutions:

- ICiBa, the online version of Kingsoft's dictionary software. It's not a full-featured as Wenlin, but it's pretty good for making your way through unfamiliar passages.

- Lin Yutang's dictionary also has an online version that's pretty good.

- Adso does word translations as well as text annotation and translation.

hey thanks a ton for that link on DimSum, it seems like it will get me through on the short term, but I am still going to keep an eye out for WenLin in China. Anyone know of any dealers in Beijing?

The link I posted above has contact information for a dealer in Tianjin. It seems they send stuff out by post, but failing that, Tianjin is close enough to Beijing for a day-trip. Their prices are also US$99 cheaper than the American retail price.

According to the User Guide (v. 3.0), the same CD works on

MacOS 7, 8, 9, or X

Win 95, 98, NT4, 2000, ME, or XP.

They also say that Wenlin is compatible with Chinese versions of MacOS and Win, and with the Apple Chinese Language Kit, but doesn't require any of them.

If you just need a lookup facility for web pages, then Live Dictionary does the job in Safari. IIRC it can be hacked to work in other applications, though I haven't tried.

My Wenlin CD is dual platform. If you can buy an original CD in CHina, then it should be too. Otherwise you'll have to get it mailed to you from the US...

• 2 months later...

Not sure about your friends Venture, but I have a legitimate copy of Wenlin that I bought from one of the authorized dealers in China. The CD works both on my Mac (Mac OS X) and my PC (Windows Vista). So just find out where your friends got their copy.

As several users have commented above, the same CD is used for both the Windows and Macintosh versions. Feel free to send a private note if you can't find a retailer in China. I can probably arrange to deliver a somewhat discounted version if you are willing to wait for shipping from the US.