Chinese-Forums

Chinese Internet Filtering and Mail Access

roddy

Just a quick heads up for people here.

Most of us located in China know that internet traffic is filtered and that if you try and load up pages containing certain keywords, your access to that site will be blocked for several minutes.

Since somehow ending up on mailing lists for a few non-China friendly groups based abroad, I've found this also applies to POP3 mail access. Everytime I get an email containing aforementioned keywords, Thunderbird loses the connection to the server shortly after logging in, and can't regain it for a few minutes. This also knocks out my http access to sites on the same server. Not sure if it affects ftp.

The only solution I've found to this is to log onto webmail (via a proxy, or your connection will cut out, remember . . .) and delete the offending messages.

Probably not a major issue for most people, but may save someone a bit of troubleshooting if they know what's happening in advance.

Roddy

Not exactly a DOS attack, but you could certainly annoy someone. Annoys me, anyway.

I don't know what happens with sending. Is SMTP encoded at all? I have never noticed any problems, but I wouldn't because I'm a good little boy.

I've never had any trouble with out going mail, the only 'issue' is with incoming Chinese-language spam from anti-China groups abroad. If that was just blocked by the filters I would be quite happy (can they get rid of all the other spam too?) but the problem is it cuts off your access to your mail server for a few minutes.

Basically unless you are sending Chinese language anti-China (and particularly anti-Party) material, then you will have no problems at all. Don't worry about it.