Chinese-Forums

A Primer for Advanced Beginners of Chinese - Simplified Version.

Shadowdh

Hi there all,

Vol 1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/023113567X/qid=1144936748/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_0_3/203-2199108-4183166

Vol 2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0231135858/qid=1144936748/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/203-2199108-4183166

After some weeks of agonising over wether getting these books was going to be worthwhile or not (and worth the lectures from the mrs re my spending on books :D ) I took the plunge and bought both (vol 1 & 2). From first glances and after going through first lesson thoroughly I have come to the conclusion that they are indeed very worthwhile. The lesson structure appears good with a basic question about the topic of the passage to read in the lesson and then some more detailed questions follow to make you work harder. Then there is a dialogue to go through followed by grammatical points and a section on sentance patterns and word usage rounded off with exercises. The back of the book has appendices that include a brief history of Hanzi and C-E, E-C vocab lists and finally a how to character writing section that actually labels each stroke with a number to show the correct order... I like these books so far... and about the only thing I can spot wrong with them is that they offer no answer section to let you see if you were right, wrong or close... a good buy imho...