Chinese-Forums

your collar is sticking up

rose~

Today I was in the lift/elevator with my friend, and I really wanted to say "your collar is sticking up!", because his suit jacket collar was not folded down. I hope everyone knows what I mean...:D Sticking up, James Dean, 50s style.

Because I didn't know, I had to say "來“and see the horrified look on his face as I took hold of his jacket by the lapels to adjust it :mrgreen:

hehe

So how do you say it?

Hi,

The following expressions are not translation of 'your colloar is sticking up.'. But, you can say them too.

1. 你的領子沒翻好.

2. 你的領子沒弄好.

3. 你的領子沒折好.

Hope it helps!:)

• 3 weeks later...

I like Sophia's best because most intuitive for us native english speakers, and is what I would've said.

Also, like nong4.

Not sure I would use the fan1 along with hao as complement of result. Fan1 often has a reversal connotation (although I know means "turn over" also). Just seems strange to put the two together like saying "not reversed well." Seems kinda weird.

But I am not sure--could be looking at it from too much of an English standpoint. Native Chinese what do you think?

Thank you. The difference is hard to tell. Confirmed with some Chinese and fan1 is ok (i admit my intuition was wrong again), but they said zhe2 is most often used for paperwork or chairs and such items and seems strange and zhe1(the other way for the character) doesn't work either (think zhe1 teng2). These are BJ people, linguistics degrees. Could be a regional difference? Where are you? But thank you for the help and clarification on fan1.

No problem. We use 折 zhe2 (fold) too. By the way, I'm from Taiwan but I don't have linguistics degrees :mrgreen: . I don't know maybe, as you said, it's regional.

Hope it helps!:)

It does help thank you. It is probably a regional difference-I only mentioned the linguistics degree so that you'd know it was a person of higher education. You help clarify so many things on the board in a way much better than the average linguist can-- don't worry:mrgreen: