Chinese-Forums

beginner taiwanese mandarin cds?

thepersimmon

I'm risking to be wrong (as I often am :mrgreen: ) but I believe what thepersimmon really wants is just plain, standard Mandarin. What kind of difference do we expect a beginner to spot between "mainland Mandarin" and "Taiwanese Mandarin" ??? Even if we assume that someone can turn a language expert overnight, what damage would it do to anyone to speak "just-plain Mandarin" to Taiwanese?

And the fact is: whatever differences exist between mainland and Taiwanese Mandarin, they tend to convert/ disappear in the materials used for second-language teaching (unless one is talking about the difference of the simplified/ traditional writing systems).

I know of a couple of series of textbooks with accompanying CDs that are widely sold in Taiwan. The first is Practical Audio-Visual Chinese, and the second is Far East Everyday Chinese. PAVC is the older and more widely used series, but the language used in it sounds strange to a lot of Taiwanese people. FEEC is still fairly formal, but will probably help you more with your everyday needs.

You can get the CDs either at the bookstore by Shida, or at the Caves bookstore near Shuanglian MRT. Good luck!