Chinese-Forums

Kunming or Chengdu

jeffofarabia

I want to return to China next year and am looking at the possibility of studying in either Kunming or Chengdu. Which city has the best quality of life and which has the best language study? Should I study at a university? What is the cost of living for both. I lived in a Chinese style apartment before in Beijing. I don't need a ritzy expat apartment.

thanks,

Jeff

Hey!

I have lived in Kunming for 3 years and Chengdu 2 years. Kunming is cheaper to live and more ideal for studying. Chengdu has a slightly higher cost of living but a better pay scale and is more ideal for those who want to teach English, make money, and save it.

Kunming has better weather, less pollution, and a better atmosphere for studying. There is also a large student community, whereas in Chengdu most of the foreigners seem to be teachers. Both cities have great restaurants and bars and a good social scene.

People from the Pacific Northwest and other cloudy, grey areas seem to have the most staying power in Chengdu, where others don't last as long because there are long periods of time (weeks) when the sun doesn't come out. People with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) should not go live there.

Kunming on the other hand, is sunny most of the time, except for summer, when it is cool, and that's the rainy season. THe sun comes out in the summer but sometimes it can hide for a whole week. Kunming has beautiful flowers all year round and most of the universities are near CuiHu Park so there is a nice place to relax and see the old folks play their traditional Chinese instruments and fly kites after class. There is also a whole district of bars and restaurants with low prices and lots of variety (French, Korean, Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Western food) in Wen Lin Jie and Wen Hua Xiang, a little neighborhood sandwiched btwn the 3 major universities Yunnan University, Yunnan Normal University, and Kunming University of Science and Technology and Cui Hu Park. Kunming is also near popular backpacking destinations such as Lijiang, Dali, Zhongdian, Xishuangbanna, etc. Chengdu is close to a lot of Tibetan areas and there are a lot of great sites to see there as well, but I recommend living in Kunming especially if you are going to study.

As far as universities go:

Kunming University of Science and Technology is the cheapest and I liked the small class size there.

I think Yunnan Normal University has the best reputation as far as a good combination of academics and small class size. I've studied there as well - it's good.

Yunnan University has larger classes.

Don't know abt other options.

Rent in the university area will run you abt 800 yuan a month or $100 US. Cheaper rent can be found on the outskirts of the city - abt 600 yuan a month but you'll have to commute to the university area. This is assuming you have your own apt. If you share you can significantly cut your costs. These are based on prices in early 2005, have been out of KM for over a year now, but definitely plan on going back - it's an excellent place to live.

• 7 years later...