Chinese-Forums

Audio files & on line lesson is the best way to learn Chinese effecitvely

Jackychina

I read some posting and get to know quite some people finished their books with audio tape or CD, and then at lost what to do next .

I have been teaching Chinese in North America for many years. I found of all my students the people who spent time listening audio files learnt better than any other students. This is why: They go to the on line class, learn new sentences, words & practise them; After class they get my audio files based on the lesson for them to listen. Thus they can absorb & memorize most of the lessons,

Listening is the key for learning language, you can spend one hour finishing one book by listening, not by reading as most people will get bored or distracted easily.

I send regular mp3 files to my students for listening, attached is a sample. These files can be downloaded into MP3 player, It can be listened while jogging, doing chores, etc. You don't have to spend time sitting there and learn. It makes learning fun & you can achieve more if you have busy schedule.

Any question, please let me know, I would like to help.

lesson 424 (2).mp3

I tend to agree with you that listening is the best form of practice. It also tends to create higher levels of confidence in students as well. Do you recommend any online courses, in particular? I tried chinese-pod, but it was not really challenging enough. I often find websites for university courses for Chinese, but many of the sites block handouts and videos and audio files from students not enrolled in their school.

However, I will say that simply listening to recordings is equally as boring as reading passages. Afer you listen to a dialog a few times, does it not become boring? Visual leaners will do better with reading, and audial learners will do better with audio work. The best thing to to try to equally emphasize both skills so that students can improve in their weak points, and yet still feel accomplishment as they progress with their strong points.

Hi Glad to read your posting,

I have people attended other on line courses and then moved to my classes as they feel I speak more standard Chinese & more clear, You can have a try and see how you feel.

The cost is not much. As long as you pay minimum cost, you can then attend on line class & also receive regular audio files to help, that's like several Pimsleur cds everyweek.

If you are interested, let me know soon as I have another class setting up shortly, and I can only teach 5 groups of classes.

Sincerely yours

Jacky