Chinese-Forums

Directly Enrolling in Language Schools in China

Guest frijol

I'm planning to go to China this summer to study advanced Mandarin. As with most things these days, I've done most of my research about various schools online, which unfortunately in the case of China has probably limited my selections as many schools don't have websites about their programs and even if they do, they are often not very comprehensive. It seems the most comprehensive info online for these schools is through study abroad organizations and companies that charge you several thousands of dollars for schools that cost less than a thousand if you directly enroll.

Which brings me to my problem, and I'm guessing it's one many of you out there have dealt with. I want to directly enroll somewhere, but how do you get more info about a program? The places that actually list a contact e-mail address on their web sites never reply. How do you get an application? Do they really expect you to wire an application fee to them, which costs more for the transfer than the actual application fee?! Is it possible to pay the application fee when you get there? Do most schools have deadlines for applying, or can I just show up a week before classes and register?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've studied two summers before in Taipei, and while the schools there were rather anal about registration deadlines and supplemental application material (a freakin' HIV test!), they had plenty of information available online and replied to my e-mails promptly, so at least I knew what to expect (if that's possible with any Chinese language program!). I've read through all of the old posts here, but nobody seems to talk much about the actual application procedures, so I'm hoping a few of you might jump in and give me some advice, since most of you in this thread seem to have studied in China before.

If it helps at all in answering my questions more specifically, I'm looking at applying to Jinan U. in Guangzhou (need to refresh my Cantonese), Nanjing or Nanjing Normal, a university in Chengdu, or possibly to BLCU if nothing else works out. Again, this is just for the summer, and I'm flexible on number of weeks as long as I can get at least 6 weeks total. I'm also open to going to any other universities anywhere in China that people highly recommend (as long as they aren't too expensive).

Sorry for the long post. I hope some of you can lend some advice!!!

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

If you are coming to China for just a summer or 6 months, many universities will let you get away with a tourist visa (such as the Film Academy), but make sure to check that with them first. I just got a residence visa and HIV and Syphillis test included it didn't come out much cheaper than a tourist visa, and was a heck of a lot more trouble.

UNless the casses are overbooked you can generally register fairly short notice, so you could consider coming to China and doing the application here. No wiring charges. Or if you know someone, ask them to hand over the money for you, although they will need the application form and a copy of your passport.

Plus if you come here you have your pick of the lot, and can see which uni you like. It's much easier to get the information once you are here. I had the same problem as you, finding courses online.

I assume you already speak Chinese (I was in Taiwan for 4 months and learned none, but then I was teaching), which makes it all the easier.

IF you were to wait and not get into a school after you arrive (which I Highly doubt) here you could always work (internships all around, too), volunteer, or just take private lessons (or get a tutor) and travel. It seems that some of the more fun loving mainland chinese know traditional characters from karaoke, so they could help you learn simpliefied, if you don't already know it.

Either way, good luck, hope this was at all useful