Chinese-Forums

Text books!!

Christopher

Hi everyone,

At the moment I'm doing a short Chinese (mandarin - level 1) course at York University as part of their languages for all scheme and it will soon be coming to an end. The next academic year will be the first time the university has had enough interest to be able to offer Chinese level 2. We still have a bit of a problem though. We need to find a suitable text book for the course. At the moment we are using 'Chinese in Steps' volume 1. Volume 2 would seem like the logical next step but unfortunately it doesn't actually seem to exist even though it mentioned in the first volume! What we are looking for is a text book that introduces vocabulary; grammar based on or around the vocabulary introduced and preferably exercises at the end of each chapter. Audio CDs would also be a fantastic. We are probably at level somewhere between beginner and intermediate.

I was thinking that the ‘New Practical Chinese Reader’ volume 2 might be useful. However, you have to buy the work book, text book and CDs separately and that would be expensive for us being poor students! Any suggestions or ideas would be fantastic and I would be glad for your help.

谢谢

Chris