Chinese-Forums

Zuo4 and Zou4

anticks

Just a quick question.. I am having trouble distinguishing between the 2 words and am getting mixed up on the meanings..

Zou4 = do / go / sit??

(eg: ni3 xiang3 zou4 shen2 me?) or while playing cards ive heard people say "zou4 ba".. which is like "lets say u go" or "go, ur turn".. do people also say "Zou4 ba" for when they want to say "sit down"?

Zuo4 = take / go?? (eg: Zuo4 fei1 ji1)

confusing :oops:

Hmm, without any context I'ma take a shot at this. I'll say the "zou4 ba" is actually "zou3 ba". zuo4 means "to sit", so zuo4 fei1 ji1 would mean to take a plane, but zuo4 itself doesn't mean "to go", just "to sit". Its really "sitting on an airplane. I don't know of any instance where zou4 means "to sit".

Zou4 = do / go / sit??

(eg: ni3 xiang3 zou4 shen2 me?) or while playing cards ive heard people say "zou4 ba".. which is like "lets say u go" or "go, ur turn".. do people also say "Zou4 ba" for when they want to say "sit down"?

It should be zuo4 for the first one. Ni3 xiang3 ZUO4 shen2 me? What would you like to do?

Zou3 is another word which means to go. So, zou3 ba means come on, let's go, go on.

Zuo4 meaning to sit is the one for taking an airplane. It's the same sound as zuo4 for to do, but it's a different character.

I think you are mixing the words zuo and zou. They are different words with different pronunciations.

ah ok. So its not even 2 words, but 3..

thats easy enough i suppose.. zou3 rhymes with go.. zuo4 for take and do..

no doubt a similar problem may arise when it comes to learning to write the proper character..

Zou4 = do / go / sit??

"ni3 xiang3 zou4 shen2 me?" should be "ni3 xiang3 zuo4 shen2 me?", and this Zuo4 is actually 做, the sentence should write 你想做什么?What do you want to do? or What are you going to do?

While for sit, it should be Zuo4(坐),zuo4 fei1 ji1(坐飞机), and we also got 坐船(by ship), 坐车(by car or taxi). We use 坐 for transport facilities, but the basic meaning for it is still sit, sit down. So it should be Zuo4 ba(坐吧).

For Zou3, it is 走,which means go. Zou3 ba(走吧) as you said is "your turn or you could go" .

So if you could bear these three words by their characters, you would never get confused about them.