Chinese-Forums

chepeast way to travel from KUNMING to SHANGHAI?

kokoma

The cost of train tickets depends on who you buy it from. A quick online search indicates two options:

K80 leave Kunming 15:07, arrive Shanghai 9:58 2 days later

519 yuan for a hard sleeper, 799 for a soft sleeper

http://www.huochepiao.com/search/chaxun/resultc.asp?txtCheCi=K80

K182 leave Kunming 20:51, arrive Shanghai 19:26 2 days later

474 yuan for a hard sleeper, 730 yuan for a soft sleeper

http://www.huochepiao.com/search/chaxun/resultc.asp?txtCheCi=K182

Not sure about bus tickets, though you might want to go to the City Cafe (assuming you are in Kunming - it is on Dongfeng donglu near the Camelia Hotel) and ask there. They sell bus tickets.

don't take a bus. i can't imagine anyone surviving a 2 day journey on the chinese roads. eithery way i would expect the train to be faster. again, don't take a bus! ive had many a horrible experience (close calls) from travelling cross country on buses in china.

sleeper bus bad. it's a lovely idea, but........you know all the parents who let their cute

lil' tykes piss & crap in the streets? well, they're on the busses, too. nothing like mama

holding junior out over the edge of the upper berth, so's he can poop in the aisle. yes,

this is from experience.

Just to complete the data, the cheapest flight I found on elong was 1140 (for 31.05. just as an example).

I once went from Guilin to SH. That was my first and last long distance train trip. But that was with girls in a soft sleeper, that's a different story......

mickdriscoll

I may consider again. Please send pictures first.

But seriously, to do such a train trip alone is a bit boring. At that time we booked hard seat (RMB38 or so), which means actually "no seat".

After spending some time in the 'hard seat' car (about 5-10 Seconds) we decided to move to 'hard sleep'. 'Hard sleep' was full, then onto 'soft sleeper'. And soft sleeper had one comple empty compartment and we happiely paid the rmb100 add up charge.

From the figures you can see that this was some time ago.....

I wouldn't dis the buses completely. I've been on a sleeper bus once from Shenzhen to Nanning and found it surprisingly agreeable. The bus was super clean - we had to take our shoes off at the door - and I managed to get some kip, although I could only just fit in the bed.

Having said that, we only took the bus because there was no convenient train. I wouldn't really like the idea of a journey that takes more than one night. And you have to consider if you trust the sleepy bus driver and other road users not to kill you.

Also, if you get a little claustrophic, don't go on a sleeper bus.

hum. Well I changed my mind. Go by train - it's not worth saving that little money.

johnd, you're right. the memory of the sleeper to bangshi overwhelmed that of the bus

to baise.

brand new bus. two 'stewardesses' kept the bus clean and tidy and fresh smelling in

between journeys. overhead consoles with light and fan. they handed out bottles of

water to all the passengers. tv at the front was not overly load. and they made us all

wear our seatbelts during the trip.

but then what are the odds?