Chinese-Forums

Anyone experienced with Chinese grad programs in the U.S.?

Laska

Is there anyone out there in a Ph.D. program in the States who would be willing to chat? Or anyone with grad school experience in this field? I'm considering applying to programs in East Asian Languages and Literature. I have questions about the availability of funding, job prospects, intellectual atmosphere, application process etc.

I would really appreciate if there is someone who would be willing to take a few minutes to talk. Also, any tips on where to find information would be really appreciated.

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this... sorry if it needs to get moved.

Thanks!

laska

Hi there Laska,

I have no eperience (yet) in Ph.D. work, but I have talked to Professors about it, and am a grad student myself. Our program is still budding, and doesn't have a Ph.D. program yet. However, most of our grad students are funded through T.A. (teaching assistant) or R.A. (research assistant)-ships, which covers their tuition and standard salary for that level. I think it is generally understood that Ph.D. students are funded, and while there aren't a Ton of grants out there, most Ph.D.'s I have talked to did not pay for their education, and our advisor says it is not worth it if you have to. Also, the people I have talked to were funded for their research (1-2 years) which is standard for Ph.D.'s, I think.

Job prospects depend on need, although I haven't heard of anyone starving after getting a Ph.D. Professorships depend on area of research, so that is hit or miss, but of the people I've spoken to, some teach and some work in international organizations. Just read that one of the top editors of the Encyclopaedia Brittanica has a degree in Chinese Literature, though they didn't specify how high of one.

Also, keep in mind that Chinese is going to be pretty darn useful, even outside of academia. (This is what I tell my parents when they suggest *real* jobs.)

Intellectual atmosphere is wonderful. The Professors have worked their whole life in this field, and they appreciate it when people come along that show interest and dedication, as well as giving them some new opinions to ponder. Perhaps I am lucky that our program's focus is song-qing print culture, meaning we have lots of drama and fiction, which makes the Professors so interesting, and actually, fun to be around.

Application, no idea. If you can wait two years I can let you know.

My masters was standard, well, aside from no GRE's!!!! :D :D :D :D :mrgreen:

Letters of recommendation, transcripts, personal statement. My undergrad degree was in German Literature, so my personal statement was important, and I gave them some of my work. For comp exams, I think we need to do a translation, and I hope that's it... although most fields have larger exams/writing. Luckily, that is in the 2. year, so there's time to learn still.

I am saying a lot and a little at the same time.

Laksa, I am going to send you a message and if you have specific questions you can contact me. Will be back in the states on Tuesday, functioning on Wednesday.

Oh, and Japanese. I think they want you to learn Japanese for a Ph.D., since a lot of Sinoloical research was done by the Japanese.

If this is untrue, someone let me know before I get myself into anymore trouble than I have...(sh)