Chinese-Forums

HSK database status

foolip

Hi all! I hade som fun trying to import the level 1 HSK words into ZDT (http://zdt.sourceforge.net) and fond that not everything in converting the csv to the format zdt likes could be done automatically. In any case, I didn't have to do much manually and this is not the point of my post.

My question: where do all the words in the HSK database come from? Furthermore, has there been any work done on it since June 2004? I'm a descent php and SQL hacker, so I wouldn't mind fixing some things if given the possibility. What needs fixing:

Software-wise:

*generate zdt format directly, for everyones flashcard-pleasure

*fix the issue of duplicated results

Fenerating zdt format will require fixing the changing/pinyin for some entries, as zdt expects to see the neutral tone 5, and "u:" instead of "v". Conversion to/from this would obviously be done on the server, so this does not mean that the csv will necesarily be "lu:4" for green.

And content-wise:

*about 60 words are missing definitions. Should be quick to add.

Yep, that's what I want to do. I've already treated myself to zdt files, but providing them to the whole world would be cool too...

Status is that it's in a queue of things to get done once I'm done earning money, eating, cutting my toenails, and all the other things that I find more fun than php and mysql.

I've uploaded the two scripts it uses, the css file and a .sql dump in a .rar archive. That should be enough to work on.

I did have a 'second generation HSK list' project in the works, which was so cool the little example I had set up has stopped working.

Note that a) this guy seems to have a more current HSK project - I don't know if there have been any major changes in the lists since I typed mine in, but it might be worth checking, and that B) the English definitions I have are not the HSK ones - they were taken from Adso, and sometime ago at that.

If you want to work on this and then send the updated scripts back, you're welcome. You could also fork off and set something up yourself, which is fine by me - I don't see that I have any copyright or anything, it's just a bunch of lists and the scripts (as you'll see) are messy at best. However, I do reserve the right to get jealous and resentful if you do anything spectacularly cool which I never thought of.

Roddy

vocabulary.rar