Chinese-Forums

$100 Laptop for developing countries

horas

Let's give the third world a taste of what they need from us!

Let's teach them/ force them to need what they don't need!

Let's make them feel totally inadequate, and eventually they'll sell their souls and bodies to us for more of our discarded junk!

$100 a laptop, and this is only the beginning!

$100 a laptop for the third world, and this is the only alternative!

(And we don't want to know any other alternatives!!!)

Satire is very difficult.

Great job though, HashiriKata!

I would prefer to donate to for example a well drilling project to supply a Bangladeshi village with arsenic free water.

To reverse the thinking, the main lesson I got when studying Hindi in India for a month was that it is possible to live without much of the complicated and expensive modern technology and still be happy, well-fed, etc.

OTOH, there are hi-tech things that do add to the possibilities of rural and/or unprevilegied people. Owning a cellphone will allow even small scale growers to find a better price than when relying on some village monopolist buyer, learning to use cheap computers may give kids better opportunities for more education etc.

Opening an internetcafe is a better idea, I think. A laptop is only used by one person, and not all the time. Put the laptop (or computer) in a bar and hire it out, and many more people can profit from it.

Not really. $100 can buy a lot of textbooks, especially in developing countries, were prices are lower.

$100, that's about Y800, you can buy textbooks for an entire (small) Chinese school for that.

I'll try to find the video, despite its being mainly in Swedish, but anyway there seems to be in India a project providing Internet access through what looks rather like phone booths (but free!), where kids (as well as adults) can connect to and use the 'net using a full keyboard and looking at a perfectly normal monitor.