Chinese-Forums

Summary of the academic year

chichi

Hmmmmm...

I've been in the US for almost a year. I took 3 courses each semester so I've taken 6 in all. If everything is fine, I can graduate after the end of next semester.

This year to me is fruitful. People are very nice here and I did learnt a lot. Unlike the post- graduate education in China which is loose and casual, the post-graduate education here is strict and systematic, although a few professors' lecturing really sucks.

One thing I find interesting is that American college students are more interest-motivated than Chinese college students.

In china, we think that smarter students can study natural sciences and engineering well. Dumber students can learn liberal arts. He is smart if he can learn math well. So China is now ruled by a bunch of engineers. hehe

I don't know whether to further my study in economics to phd or just stop here as a master. Not sure if a master student can find a job more easily or a phd student.

It's getting hot here. I hope you guys have a good summer:mrgreen:

Congrats on surviving and thriving in the US and finishing your masters. looks like you picked up some slang too!

although a few professors' lecturing really sucks

You're in America that means no one can tell you whether to finish your PhD or join the work force. You are facing the same dilemma as most American college students - too many options, and therefore difficulty making decisions. Take some time and think it over. You can always join the work force to get more experience and refine your interests and then go back later to finish a PhD. If you want to teach economics in a university, though, it's probably better just to go ahead and finish your PhD now, though that's just my opinion - I didn't study economics.

Best wishes making your decision.

I don't know whether to further my study in economics to phd or just stop here as a master. Not sure if a master student can find a job more easily or a phd student.

For economics, I think the better jobs are generally reserved for those with a PhD. It's a little like the life sciences. With a Master's degree, you'd be more like a technician, whereas with a PhD you'd get to lead the project.

Brand name -- the school you graduate from -- is very important, so you may want to consider upgrading to a higher ranked school for the PhD, i.e. MIT, Harvard, Berkeley. Since full scholarships plus stipends are generally available for PhD students, tuition shouldn't be a factor in choosing between private and public schools. In fact, private schools provide better funding than public schools.