Chinese-Forums

Help: 满城尽戴黄金甲 (Curse of the Golden Flower)

foolip

Request for backup! I've been editing away at the wikipedia article about Zhang Yimou's upcoming movie. However, I'm not too sure about everything that I've written. Please help me verify/fix these things:

Is the pinying for the character 尽 jin3 or jin4? I've guessed for jin4 on no grounds at all.

What is the literal translation? 满城尽戴黄金甲

满城 Mancheng, an old city

尽 to the utmost

戴 to wear

黄金甲 golden armor

My best shot was "cover Mancheng with golden armor", but... I'm not sure.

The thing about 黄金甲 as a colloquialism for sandstorm was in a podcast from chinesepod.com. Is the way I've written it true? I have never heard it used as I'm in Sweden, but how about you people in China?

• 2 weeks later...

The working English title is "The City of Golden Armor" according to dianying.com.

This is said to be loosely based on Cao Yu's play Thunderstorm which has several adaptions over the time including one the early Bruce Lee played a role, but set in an emperor's court. Thunderstorm is a Shakespearean drama of love, sex, incest, scandal, revenge and death, spiced with the class war in 1930's China. The titles comes from a poem written by the leader of a peasant uprising in the late Tang Dynasty, but is only chosen for its splendor while the poem has little to do with the story. Budget 360M yuan (US$44M). The 'Zhang's new lady' as the tabloids like to say has been revealed as Li Man, a student in Central Drama Academy of Beijing.

Li Man

LiMan.jpg