Chinese-Forums

Living in China and things to bring

website

:wink: Ha, I know it shouldn't be a problem, I mean Yao Ming had to manage, and he's way bigger than I am. I'm not really worried too much, just thought I would make sure.

Hey you are tall for a Taiwanese girl. I lived out there for a while, and I rarely saw girls that were 1.78 meters tall. I'm 1.91 meters tall and I just remember how nothing that I liked (style wise) was available in sizes that would fit me. Especially things like socks and shoes. But it'll be fine, no doubt about it. I just am not much of the suit and tailored shirts kinda guy. Not that I don't love to get dressed out for the clubs, I totally do, I just couldn't wear that everyday if I didn't have to. Stylish comfort is the way to go!

Ok, Now that I sound like a moron, I'm gonna make my escape. Thanks for the info!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 1.83 m tall, and I haven't had much trouble finding clothes that fit me. One warning, though, is to be sure to try the clothes on before you walk out with them. I've found that a Large isn't always a Large, and an XL is often closer to an L.

I don't buy a lot of shoes in China, but when I've tried, I do have a bit of a problem. I have big feet, and my sizes aren't as plentiful. But not really a problem for me.

As for all the other items listed earlier by Website, I live in Shenzhen when I'm in China, and I've found pretty much everything on thost lists. There are big supermarkets in the districts where I spend most of my time (Futian and Luohu) and I've always found the things I typically need and want.

English language books and magazines are something else, however ...

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy many foreign stuff at the french supermarkets like Carrefour...

I even found SPA ("famous" belgium water) at the countryside of Hangzhou. Its really from belgium (ive checked it twice). But the so-called dutch cheese like Edam or Gouda (very funny english pronouncations) are not FROM the netherlands! But from New Sealand! So are many milk products and such form New Sealand.

Most southern people are small (Im the biggest with 1.78m height in my family also the fatest). Besides you(lu) are small compared to the dutch people (+1.90?). Nothern people are a bit bigger, I was in bejing... and all I can see is tall young people. (My female tutor from Shandong is 1.80).

Bring only the most important stuffs like shoes (china shoes are CRAP), shampoo (its more toxic then soap..), and some medicine! Oh things like pickles and such are just nonense. I found even a place where you can buy belgium chocolates, real German beer! (Warsteiner), Breezers.

I found even a place where you can smoke/buy POT/Mariuhuana! of course at your own risk :D. Just go out, hop in every store/bar/shop/something and you will find the most remarkable things. They dont care if you have some money :)