Chinese-Forums

Flying..Shenzhen to Bejing to Myanmar?

taryn

Okay, so I'm planning WAY in advance, but I'm planning to go to the mainland next spring (May hopefully) and I'm trying to get a handle on a budget for my trip. I have a cousin in Shenzhen so I'm thinking my best bet is to fly into Hong Kong for a visit.

1. What I'm trying to figure out now is whether to buy plane tickets from Shenzhen/Hong Kong to Beijing here in the States or when I get to China. Which is cheaper?

2. I have the crazy idea that I'd also like to visit a friend in Myanmar (Burma) while I'm on that side of the world. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to do that?

Thanks guys!

You should be able to get a better deal flying from Shenzhen to Beijing as opposed to Hong Kong to Beijing. I recently flew from Hangzhou to Shenzhen; the price of the roundtrip ticket was half of what I would have had to pay for flying from Hangzhou to Hong Kong.

Buying the flight ticket in Shenzhen should not be a problem. You can use C-Trip, for example (there are many other sites, too), and they will deliver it to your doorstep, at which time you pay cash. We've done that loads of times, it works well and fast.

http://www.c-trip.com/

For reference, I recently turned up at Shenzhen airport and bought a ticket at half price (800, 900Y, I forget exactly) despite it being only 10 minutes before check-in closed. A ticket for the Kowloon > Shenzhen Airport ferry will cost you 200HKD.

I don't know who c-trip.com are, but the major Chinese online travel agent is ctrip.com (note lack of hyphen), and they have an 'English' link at the top right. There's also elong.net.

Roddy