Chinese-Forums

translation of a Sun Zhongshan text/letter

randall_flagg

Anybody know where I could find a translation of Sun Yatsen's 孙中山's 李鸿章书 ? The name 孙文 is used in this one (instead of Sun Zhongshan). Online resources would be best, but any ol' book would do as well.

Thanks,

Randall

You can find the translation in this book -> Prescriptions for Saving China: Selected Writings of Sun Yat-sen

The transliteration of the main characters' names used here are Sun Yat-sen and Li Hung-chang ...

He never wavered in his commitment to modernization and in his insistence upon a selective utilization of Western ideas and institutions toward achieving this end. These were the major themes of his 1894 plea to Li Hung-chang. Now translated in full for the first time, the letter, which marked Sun's initial, and modest, attempt to make a contribution to China's modernization, provides insights into the mode of thinking and concerns that characterized his entire political career.

There is a copy in our central library. I will see if I can get it during the weekend ...

The book is in the reference library so I couldn't borrow it. Instead I've made photocopies. I hope this is what you look for ->

Page 1              Page 2             Page 3 

cimg15963hf.th.jpg       cimg15989rg.th.jpg       cimg16009rs.th.jpg

Page 4              Page 5             Page 6

cimg16010pi.th.jpg       cimg16039mz.th.jpg       cimg16526nu.th.jpg

Page 7              Page 8             Page 9

cimg16109uq.th.jpg       cimg16141ay.th.jpg       cimg16278ax.th.jpg

More ...

Page 10             Page11            Page 12

cimg16329nc.th.jpg       cimg16357iu.th.jpg       cimg16377nz.th.jpg

Page 13             Page 14            Page 15

cimg16426xt.th.jpg       cimg16446ko.th.jpg       cimg16465uu.th.jpg

Page 16

cimg16484ko.th.jpg

wow! skylee, you are the BEST!!!!!!!!! there must be a chengyu out there to describe you, but i haven't come across one that says it all. all that is left for me to say is: thank you! your help is so much appreciated, you have no idea.

honestly, it must have taken you forever to do all this! just like Blanche from Streetcar Named Desire said:"I've always depended on the kindness of strangers". Don't know whether that fits or not, just popped into my head.