Chinese-Forums

Beijing Foreign Students Activity Center

self-taught-mba

This is probably your best bet:

Beijing Foreign Student Activity Center

8610 5197 1888

Chinese Liu2 xue2 shi4 jie4 guang3 chang3

The front desk or workers cannot speak any English.

It is a 10 minute ride to BLCU.

It's also the same place that many service companies or "schools" use for their students including:

• Worldlink,
  • ISC Beijing,
  • PRC Study,
  • Global Exchange
  • Educasian.

Some of these companies pass it off as their dorm or student center. Not true. It is independently owned. Long-term rates, longer than two months will only run you 60 kuai per day. Short-term rates start at 120. However, some of these companies charge people upwards of $32 a night to stay in a room that cost them 60 kuai. Or even double people up for a little less!

There are pictures available from the PRC Study web site here:

http://www.prcstudy.com/student_flats.shtml

And here they state: "Obtained through PRC Study at local instead of "foreigners" prices, you can choose to live privately or share with a PRC Study arranged roommate in university dorms, student flats, apartments or hotels; or live with a Chinese Host family. "

You take a look at their different pricing options and make a determination as to the truthfulness of that statement yourself.

You can also see pictures on the WorldLink web site here:

http://www.worldlinkedu.com/accommodation.html#residence

They state: "The Student Residence is located right next to the WLE office, student center and classrooms. It is approximately 5 minutes away from the Language University. A free shuttle travels regularly from the Residence to the Language and Martial Arts universities. The World Link student cafeteria is located within the residence. It is a popular place for participants to meet with their language partners. The cafeteria offers western snacks and beverages including sandwiches, cakes, and cappuccino."

Except there's one problem, the WorldLink offices and student center haven't been located next to the the residence for at least a couple of months. For some reason that must have escaped their notice as this is still on available on their web site. Then again it wouldn't look very convenient if they had to change it now would they? even though newer information has been updated.

Currently, the ISC Beijing office and student lounge is located within the complex. I guess it would be embarrassing for WorldLink to say that they no longer are there but their competitor is huh?

Just making a quick point which will be a topic of a new thread: most of the companies here are really in the business of accommodation. Besides, I would be remiss if I provided links and didn't point out the problems on the linked page. (And revenge:evil: for what I believe was misleading statements as a former customer and now unfair competition)

Anyway:

The rooms are rather small. There is virtually no difference between a double and a standard room and I find the idea of double accommodation in a "double room" laughable. There are a limited number of studio rooms which are basically two rooms put together, which are much more acceptable (and of course about double the price).

There is also a large number of students that attend BLCU that are living there, primarily Koreans. They sometimes get a little rowdy and drink a lot. It is closer to a dorm than a hotel. The quality is acceptable

It is a good deal for the money but not like standards in America. (Bathrooms are full of mold-but then again in China aren't they all?!)

However, it is recently going through a renovation. It will become closer to a full-service hotel. I recently toured some of the renovated rooms that are not yet open to the public-they are much nicer, approaching the quality of the Xi Jiao Hotel.

Of course in the future this will come with increased prices.

Overall I don't think you can't beat this deal. It is convenient, and flexible in terms of the rent and pretty cheap.

Oh yeah, there are shuttle buses running to BLCU for residents.

SAC for 2 months stay is 70 kuai a night and I have heard (through others staying for a shorter time) that its more like 170k for a night...

I have a meeting to prepare for. If my scanner works later I can scan in the price sheet.

Most expensive is 240 for studio type room, short term. Others are much cheaper. Longer than 6 mons. singles go down to 55 a night.

I picked up the schedule and toured on Thurs (4 days ago)

of course do you think compannies book for the long term or short term rate? this business is based on information asymetry. i'll scan it later.

It would be interesting to see your price list... as the prices I have are prices that came directly from the SAC itself (there is a lady there who speaks english by the way by the name of Helen and it can be hard to get hold of her I am told... but they are very nice and put up with my bad Chinese when I booked) I am more inclined to go with the info I have... I dont know about the rates for longer than 2 months however... nor was I speaking about companies booking, rather the info I gave is regarding me booking the room on my tod... uh that means on my own... from the UK via email/telephone... sorry for any confusion... Cheers