Chinese-Forums

Know of any Chengdu schools???

nitropuppy

I want to live in Chengdu for a few years. I'm 46 years old and I am semi-retired. From what I have read so far, it is difficult to get a temporary residence permit. Unless, I either teach english or take Mandarin courses myself.

I do not have time to be a full time student or teacher. My business in the "States" will need a certain amount of attention. Which, I can do via the internet. Should I come on a tourist visa (multi-entry), or try to get a letter from a school and apply for a 24 month student visa?

MY QUESTIONS

1. Can anybody give me the names to any schools in Chengdu, where I could take just a few hours of language study a week??

2. How can a foriegner obtain the temporary residence permit?

3. I plan to marry my fiancee (she is chinese) in China. But according to the U.S.Consulate website, I need the residence permit to receive a marriage license. But another site said the marriage itself with get me the residence permit. Chicken or the egg?? Which is it?? Which must come first??

4. Ideally, I just want to live in Chengdu with my wife. Get to understand her culture better. Spend a few years there, maybe buy a condo. Saw a beautiful condo/apartment complex being built in Chengdu, when I was there in February. If a foriegner is married to a chinese citizen, can we buy property??

I have been on a search for these answers, for about half a year. I tried to contact a handfull of chinese lawyers and law firms in Chengdu. I wrote the U.S.Consulate in Chengdu, four times. Got nothing back. Not one E-mail. I'm quite perplexed by the silence. I even offered the law firms a retainer fee. Again, not even an E-mail declining the offer. Nothing.

So, if anyone could pity this frustrated, confused guy, I would truly appreciate it. Even if you know just part of my questions, any help would be a blessing. I thank you in advance. I also want to thank this Forum and the people who contribute. You're helping to untangle the spaghetti of rules and regulations.

Well, I guess nobody can respond to my (apparently) very difficult questions. So, I guess I'll respond myself. .....Sorry dude, nobody knows the answers. They are impossibly difficult to answer. Or if somebody does know some information, they're not willing to parcel out any of that information. Even a retainer or finders fee, can't bring you help.

So, keep looking. And if Consulates, lawyers, expats and forum sites won't help you, try elsewhere. Just remember, it's a cold, selfish world out there. The days of the good samaritan are gone. You're on your own.

** (note to any reader of this) This may look like self-pity. I can assure you it's not. It's born out of frustration. I'm just incredibly blown away by the facts. Hundreds of hours searching. At least 30 e-mails to lawyers, consulates, forums,and others. Not one e-mail back. Nothing. Can't even buy the information. WOW!!!! I'm starting to feel like Patrick Swayze in the movie "Ghost".

Nobody can see or hear me. Maybe Whoopie can help me. Anybody know her address?

(Don't really expect an answer)

Sorry, I don’t know anything about your questions, but why not let your fiancee ask some of your questions in the local, instead of your many times enquiries cross the country?

Just remember, it's a cold, selfish world out there. The days of the good samaritan are gone. You're on your own.

Please do not say that too early, I think one does get help from the strangers from time to time, not mention from one’s friends. I can always be moved by that.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply, elina. You at least confirmed, I'm not dead yet. Ha Ha! Yeah, I tried your route too. Unfortunately, my fiancee is one of many chinese who is afraid to approach any authority. She is very nervous at the thought of asking any government agency for any information. She says she will try, but never musters the courage. Ironically, I found the chinese police to be very polite and helpfull when I visited China this year. Ones perception is influenced by ones historic past.

As for my comment, ..... you're right! It's a bit over reaching. This forum is a good example of what you pointed out. Strangers do occasionally reach out and offer assistance. My comment was intended to be slightly funny, and with a certain amount of sarcasm.

It was written in a moment of frustration, and was actually my way of saying to myself, "buck-up soldier, don't let it get to you". So, if I've offended anybodys sensibilities, I most sincerely appologise.

it doesnt seem too difficult to find some of this information atleast; ive only been through there, but i think there are several unis there including sichuan u., chengdu u., southwest jiaotong u. you could go on a simple tourist visa, show up at the school and apply that way, or as you mentioned just get the invitation letter and get the visa that way. if u are enrolled as a student, you'll get the residence permit.

I second TS's idea of coming on a tourist visa and then changing it into a residence permit, because if you study (intend to stay) over 6 months, you will need to have a medical exam done, and if you get it changed, you only have to go through that baloney one time (this was true as of 2002, correct me if I am wrong about this)...

Now, if you are planning on getting married in China (I did recently), and are a US citizen, you need a residence permit. Once you are married, you can apply for a (I believe, but I am not sure, it could be one year) 6 month residence permit, that simply allows you to reside in China (and not work).

As far as schools in Chengdu go... Sorry. Been there once, and it was enough!

Property...I don't know if this is everywhere in China, but where I live (Xinjiang), we can buy property together. HOWEVER.... If we were ever to get a divorce or anything legally went wrong, I would be in the wrong, and lose without a doubt...

Finally, did you try emailing the embassy in Beijing or somenone in the US, because I have only had luck withe the Beijing embassy. I thought that they were super!

You mentioned you don't have time to be a full-time student. Although you need to attend a certain amt of classes to keep your student status, many schools really are most concerned that you pay the tuition, not with your grades or your performance (though if you have good teachers they will be concerned with your performance). So i think it's possible to be a student on a student visa and have plenty of time for other things. Sichuan University and the Minorities Institute are 2 popular ones for CHinese study in Chengdu.. There is also Four Tones Mandarin training center, but as a private school i don't know if it has visa issuing status. I lived in Chengdu 2 yrs but left 2 yrs ago so I'm a little out of touch.

I think being a student is a lot less time consuming than being a teacher, and many people who like to travel but not necessarily study choose student visa status for this reason. You are still your own boss when you're a student because you're the one paying. WHen you are a teacher the school owns you.

It's about $900 US a semester Mandarin classes at Sichuan Uni. It used to be $600 US a semester for Minorities Institute, but may not be as good.

Here is a link to the Sichuan University Department of International Cooperation's site for Foreign students:

http://www.scu.org.cn/iohomepage/os.htm

I bet there's a lot of friendly English speaking people there that can help you.

Hi, none of the issues that you mention are unsolvable.

Yes you can buy property.

You can only get a "green card" once you have been married five years (or invested a lot of money). However, you can register for a friendly private language school (not just a Uni) and they can also help you with your "student visa". You can also apply to an agent who can arrange all the paperwork for you. They can normally get you "F" visas.

Please note that as a foreigner you will have to register with the local police (Public Security Bureau). I am not sure how they will react to living in an apartment on a tourist visa. ie Tourist visa solution needs to be researched.

There are number of companies that provide "destination services" and advice on living in China. These are normally not free services. There is a lot of useful info on the China Expert website (www.china-expert.org) and if you need more you couls always contact them and ask them to research the answers to all your questions, or even try "Google answers"

FYI - I am married to a Chinese national and been in China for a number of years

There are number of companies that provide "destination services" and advice on living in China. These are normally not free services.

No, they normally charge an arm and a leg for helping you do something you can do yourself with a bit of research and effort. Fine for corporate stuff and if you've got money to burn though (and if we've got lots of loaded management consultants on here I want to know about it, time to start charging for membership :mrgreen: ).

To the OP - you've asked questions about Chengdu schools, temporary residence permits, residence permits and buying property all under the title 'Know of any Chengdu schools', which is hardly going to increase your chances of a decent answer.

There's some very old info on Chengdu schools here, and if you search for 'chengdu schools' or similar on here you'll turn up a few more that might be helpful.

Temporary residence permit and residence permit see here. I suspect you need a residence permit to get married (and you would have to get that one by being studying, working here) and subsequently you can rely on the fact that you are married to extend / renew it.

Buying property is a minefield, and what applies in Beijing today won't be worth a damn in Chengdu tomorrow. Indeed, what applies in Chengdu today probably won't count in Chengdu tomorrow anyway. Definitely a case for on the ground research.

Please note that as a foreigner you will have to register with the local police (Public Security Bureau). I am not sure how they will react to living in an apartment on a tourist visa. ie Tourist visa solution needs to be researched.

They're unlikely to care. All the local police need to know is where you live.

Thank you everybody. After months of searching, this past week has been most fruitfull. The good people of this forum have given me some usefull suggestions, and I now see a bit of light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. I even got an E-mail back, from the consulate in Chengdu. All in one week. Amazing!

My God! Life is so weird sometimes. I got nothing for months, then it all comes flooding in on the same week. I've never felt more alive. Ha Ha! I should be in Chengdu by the fall. (autumn) And if anybody on this forum that lives in Chengdu wants a skiing lesson, I'll give ya' one free. Meet me at the Xiling ski area. We'll crank out a few runs and then go sip a tall frosty one. :lol:

Thanks, nitropuppy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey!

I read you study at the SWJTU in Chengdu. Next month, I'll fly to China to study Chinese at that university for one year. I've already been searching a lot of information, and I can't wait to be there, but maybe you have an answer to my question: when does the school year end at the SWJTU? I would be very glad if you knew an answer to this question and with any kind of information you still have.

Thanks a lot!

Lientje

Hey Lientje, you asked,....

when does the school year end at the SWJTU? I would be very glad if you knew an answer to this question and with any kind of information you still have.

Thanks a lot!

Lientje

You misread the questions and answers. I was the one planning on some schooling in Chengdu. So far, I'm still in the planning stage. But, my guess would be, .... early june. Most schools go September to June. The final day depends on your curriculum. Finals vary from school to school and year to year, as far as the certain date is concerned. Ask the particular school.

Best of luck, John

Yes, if you want to get married in Chengdu, it should not be a problem. First, get yourself an apartment, maybe 1500 yuan per month furnished, 6 month minimum usually, one month's rent to the agent, plus a large deposit. Then go down to the local police station (the apartment guards will tell you where) and register it as your address. You can do all that on a tourist L visa.

Go off and get married at the Marriage Office. I've been there and talked with a guy from America doing just that. Next step was the American Consulate for his wife's USA visa. You will need documents to 'prove' you are not already married, ie something from your state saying they have no record of you being married. I'm not sure you need to have a residence permit, and even if you don't, a temporary residence permit issued by the hotel might suffice.

Once you are married or can claim some sort of 'family' relationship, you can have a shot at getting a family L visa. You might need to buy an apartment to do that, you might not. It depends on the PSB. As with everything in China, it helps to have connections.

Buying an apartment could be a problem for a foreigner in Chengdu. 'Gloria Apartments', a new block just on the market in Chengdu, turned me down as a buyer because I am a foreigner. But I have an apartment in my own name in a neighbouring town (much cheaper than Chengdu - Chengdu price is now about 5000 RMB/sqm - but Deyang price is 1700 or less, and in smaller cities you might pay under 1000). So there are local rules for this as for everything else in China.

The advantage of the family L visa (different from the tourist L visa) is that it is multiple entry and lasts for one year at a time. It's better than the 3-month (or 6-month) tourist L visa (unless you actually like to take a trip to Shenzhen-HongKong or Zhuhai-Macau every three months or so). After 5 years of marriage you can get something even more permanent.

I read you study at the SWJTU in Chengdu. Next month, I'll fly to China to study Chinese at that university for one year. I've already been searching a lot of information, and I can't wait to be there, but maybe you have an answer to my question: when does the school year end at the SWJTU? I would be very glad if you knew an answer to this question and with any kind of information you still have.

Hi, lien,

autumn semester: september--january

spring semester: february--june(or early july)

now SWJTU has two main campuses, the old one is Chengdu campus, for graduate school, and the apartment of overseas students that you can apply one but also optional as you can rent one nearby off campus; the new campus in the countryside of the city but not far at all.

you may contact this: http://www.swjtu.edu.cn/english/inter.htm

good luck!

• 1 year later...

Actually buying an apartment in China is not that dificult. There are two ways to buy an apartment in China.

Chinese citizen:

You can pay cash or if you wanrt a morgage you must pay a 30% (Required, use to be 20%) downpayment and then pay off the balence in a morgage through China Bank, Construction bank or any bank of your choice.

Non-citizen:

You must pay 100% if you are not a Chinese citizen.

Caution:

Usually the apartment you are buying is under construction and it could be a long time before you can move in. Typically they are unfinished inside and you have to hire a contractor to finish the interior. There have been cases of developers going bankrupt leaving the buyers with no apartment and not much recorse (This is rare but has happened) Its better to buy an apartment from an existing apartment owner who wants to sell his apartment for whatever reason. I would recoment buying an apartment no older then 5 years. Find one that is close to the subways and shoping centers.

China is like other countries and there is both good and bad. I have lived and worked in China for many years in different Chinese cities and do not speak Chinese. In spite of that I love China and the very friendly people. Nowadays many cChinese people speak English, especialy business people. And then there are the Irish Pubs. I think there is an Irish Pub in every Chinese city. Thank God for the Irish.

Jerry