Chinese-Forums

Teaching and Studying??

shaun454

Hi All,

I would like to come to China and work as a teacher while obtaining my degree. Is it possible with the teaching schedule to do both? Is there anyone that has any experience doing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shaun

i have a couple of friends doing that both in Nanjing and Shijiazhuang. Both of them had started off in Beijing tuition was too high and they had a hard time making it every month.

The trick is not to teach for the school you're studying at. Get a decent university or middle school teaching position with low working hours and then try to enroll at the university

Totally possible... I agree you should not be in the overcrowded big cities and you should work for a different school than you are studying at...

Location, Location, Location is the most important for your health and sanity...

What is your desired Major?

If it is Chinese, then come to Guilin, Yangshuo and enjoy life and study at the same time...

Phil

I have had several friends study for advanced degrees while holding down teaching posts. Obviously, your ability to succeed in this area depends on many personal factors: Are you disciplined enough to stay at home studying while your friends go out partying? Can you make it to work each and every day (prepared, no less) regardless of how many hours you had to study the previous night?

If you are committed to earning your degree, then you can certainly do it. Class schedules should be flexible enough to allow for it.

Good luck!

Hi All, thanks a lot for all of the helpful replies.

I would like to major in Education or Psychology but I will check out Guilin. And yes I'm well past the partying so I'm sure I could focus just on my studies :) .

Thanks Again!

Shaun

Beishida (Beijing Normal University) specializes in Education and if I remember correctly is also ahead of the pack in Psychology (not hard in China, it's still a very new discipline here). Might be worth a look.