Chinese-Forums

Jinan University website question

axene

My browser keeps hanging every time I try to go to the JNU site, but if memory serves, pretty much all of the downloadable applications for admissions and the HSK are are on the Chinese site only. If you don't read Chinese well enough to find what you need, post back here and I'll try to find the application for you later.

hey thanks both of you,

the http://lxlz.jnu.edu.cn/ page leads to this online registration for the BA program and seems like it only applies to people who have to take some sort of placement test for a BA program.

a friend of mine however insists that he found a link that made a Word document come up...and that was the application form itself.

maybe you're right, Jive T, and it's only on the Chinese site. i would love it if you found it. this mystery has had me stumped now for DAYS.

I can get on the site now, but the part that should probably have details and applications for CSL programs seems to be down. If you go to the main page and click on 招生信息, you'll get to this page:

http://www.jnu.edu.cn/zsjy.htm

When I click on 汉语留学生招生简章, the page can't be found. I did find the contact details for the CSL college:

e-mail: ohwy@jnu.edu.cn

phone: 8720-5019

The phone number is for the general office. Whenever I've called, they've been a bit short but were able to answer any questions I asked them. E-mailing them in Chinese is hit or miss. I've gotten a couple of quick replies and then one or two instances of them not replying at all. Not the most organized college, but such is China I suppose. If you can't get answers or forms from them and you're set on Guangzhou, then maybe you could also try Zhongshan University.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Online application forms at Chinese universities in general tend to be rather unreliable. I know of several people who have waited, and waited, and waited in vain for a response from universities after applying.

It is best to follow up and ensure that something is happening with a phone call (emails are not always answered promptly either).

I don't know much about Jinan Univ's site though.

• 5 months later...

wait, i'm a little bit confused. a few weeks ago i was thinking of moving to guangzhou to enroll in a cantonese program but only found one that had an english web site, so i e-mailed it (i thought it was jinan uni but now i'm not so sure), and received the following reply:

The Cantonese course is an elective course of the General Chinese program which operated once a week free of charge.We do offer full-time course for the Cantonese, but only for a minimum number of 15 students in a class. The General Chinse program is for Mandarin study. There around 4 classes in the morning from 8:00-11:40, and the elective courses, such as Cantonese, Kungfu, Calligraphy, Science Chinese are offered in the afternoon.

For the coming semester, the course starts on March 5 and ends on around July 15.

Please fill in the application form attached and send it back to us with other required documents by email.We'll assess your application ASAP.

so that didn't sound very promising and i didn't bother to follow up with the application. do any of you know of any universities anywhere on the mainland that offers regularly scheduled full-time cantonese courses?