Chinese-Forums

sport in Nanjing...or maybe in other places

Guest dmrt_

Hi there.

I am planning to spend some time in Nanjing this fall. The reason is taking an intensive

course of Mandarin. My question is somewhat unusual: I have a sport hobby - competetive

rowing and would be quite pleased if I could continue trainig in Nanjing as well. Does anyone

have any info on this ? Maybe someone has at least seen racing boats in the area ?

(racing boat is quite narrow 1-2 feet wide). If someone knows of any sport centers close to

a river or a big lake, please let me know. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks a lot

Taihu lake is at Wuxi, between Nanjing and Shanghai. However, Wuxi is a smaller, more industrial city and I would be surprised if there are any sporting activities there you can't find in Nanjing.

To be honest I think you might be out of luck - availability and cost of equipment is likely to be quite prohibitive, and while there'll be Olympic teams training somewhere I don't think there's going to be much if any grassroots activity. Good luck, but I suspect you'll wind up on a rowing maching at the gym.

The only rowing activity in Nanjing I've seen so far is, a) young couples & families in paddleboats on Xuanwu Lake, B) the dragon boat races around the Double-Fifth Festival, and c) the folks in skiffs skimming the trash out of the canals.

It seems like I have to look around when I'm already there in Nanjing. I live currently in Munich. The rowing world cup is annually held here. The chinese (or any teams from Asia) were never successful, rowing seemed to be just not their type of sport. This year the chinese team was quite a suprise - I am not sure if they got any first place (maybe once) but their boats were in finals. It seems like they are getting ready quite seriously for the Olympics 2008. ... well... all this kind of gave me the idea to ask about rowing in China.