Chinese-Forums

About online gaming in china.

dynaemu

Is it illegal in china for foreigners to register and play chinese MMORPGs and websites?

Because I see websites that needs ID numbers... but, most of them I see do not.. but I am just wondering if foreigners playing and registering for their websites is illegal in china.

Thank you all.

It's not illegal, but the system may not recognise any kind of ID other than a Chinese ID card number. Perhaps some have an option for passport, but they're not geared up for a non-Chinese clientele.

You could try inventing an ID card number - see here for instructions on how to do that (which would be illegal. )

Okay 2 more questions:

1. So how about chinese websites that dont need a ID number? Still legal for foreigners? (cause I never see a foreigner in a chinese internet cafe -_-)

2. Do immigrants to china get an ID number? (aliens, etc etc)

I don't know of any laws that say 'foreigners can't use this website', full stop. Chinese lawmakers are far too worried about what their own citizens are getting up to, they aren't going to pay much attention to your attempts to kill orcs and terrorists.

I guess if you became a fully naturalized citizen you would get a Chinese ID card. Number of people doing that is miniscule though. Foreigners use their passport number in place of an ID card number, which can cause problems if an automated system isn't set up for anything other than Chinese ID numbers. If they have a residence permit then technically that can be used instead of the passport, but a lot of places will insist on a passport.