Chinese-Forums

ELCEC & KMUST (Kunming)

mr.stinky

hi y'all. i'm currently at ynnu, soon to end the semester and not quite satisfied with

the instruction. considering continuing at another institution, such as KMUST or

ELCEC.

i've been to visit a couple KMUST classes (using "chinese made easier"), and will try

out an elcec class next week.

anyone on board been a student at either of these two schools? i'm looking for

previous experience (especially the bad stuff!!).

At ELCEC, some of the teachers are quite good, and used teaching methodologies similar to what you might learn doing a CELTA. However, some of them don't really care. The administration of the school is responsive to complaints, and will try and resolve any problems you have with the teachers. I actually changed teachers while I was there, and was satisfied with who I got.

If you do 1-on-1 lessons (or 1-on2) you can get the teacher to use whatever materials you prefer to learn from. The school uses texts/workbooks from BLCU. The texts published by BLCU aren't particularly useful for what I actually intend to learn, so I studied with some other books while I was at the school.

In terms of classrooms - it can get cold in the fall or winter. But I don't think that is too much different than the classrooms at YNNU.

As for obtaining the visa, they pull the "come in on a tourist visa" crap like a lot of other schools do. Since you are already in Kunming, presumably getting another student visa through them shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Out of curiousity, what was the aspect of YNNU instruction that annoyed you the most?