Chinese-Forums

Printing Flashcards in China!

Prodigal Son

So a ton of flashcards in MS Word format are available here: http://www.shufawest.us/language/index.html

What's the best way to get these printed in China? I don't have a printer at home but printers are everywhere on the street - anyone know if they can print double sided things like this and score them for you? If this is possible I'd expect it to be cheap and worth the trouble.

Thanks!

I use to buy boxes of blank name cards and sweet-talk colleagues into copying HSK vocab onto them.

See if you can find a place that prints name cards (rather than one that takes orders and gets them printed elsewhere - you might be able to get them printed on decent weight card and cut up into nice wallet-sized packs. If they can't do it onto card then the same place should be able to print onto A4 paper and cut them up for you, but they're going to get pretty dog-eared if you actually use them.

Not sure where you are in China, but just walk around looking for the shops with stuff like 名片,打印 in the window.

Roddy

The cut and laminated cards ended up costing nearly 0.5元 a piece, with 65 of them being 30元.

I didn't realize that traditional characters had been printed on the cards until I had them in my hands - is there a site similar to the one that I posted which has simplified flashcards ready-to-print?

That book is called Chinese Learning Cards for HSK, from Morning Glory Publishers, 2005. I picked up a copy in the Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press bookshop, next to Beijing Foreign Studies Uni, west third ring road.

Each card has a character with stroke order on one side and a few words which begin with the given character on the reverse. A good resource for 38 kuai.

I'm trying an experiment with these cards to learn the tones. Have coloured in each character using one of four colours, one for each tone. The idea is to add a quick and easy visual clue linking tone to character. I've just started using the cards so no feedback yet on how effective this is. Anyone tried this?

Quote:

I saw a book of 2000 odd flashcards for HSK - with perforations to make it easy to get the cards out - in the foreign languages bookstore in wang fu jing. RMB38 ;-)

Nice if you live there, however I live in a small village in the countryside of Hunan. No foreign language bookstores. No bookstores at all!

I saw a book of 2000 odd flashcards for HSK - with perforations to make it easy to get the cards out - in the foreign languages bookstore in wang fu jing. RMB38 ;-)

sounds great. except for tearing out out 2,000 perforated flashcards!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the URL that the previous poster left (http://shop.aaawww.net/mod8/detail.p...2&catid=662814), but couldn't figure out how to determine shipping costs to Sichuan. I sent an e-mail to the contact available on the site but haven't gotten a reply in weeks. Is there another place where this can be ordered online or with a telephone call?

but couldn't figure out how to determine shipping costs to Sichuan.

At the bottom of every page on our site, there is “Distributing Method, Cost and Time”

http://shop.aaawww.net/mod8/fsql.php?id=217543&userid=7912

I sent an e-mail to the contact available on the site but haven't gotten a reply in weeks.

I’m sure that we have not received your email. We get many spams with suspicious email titles and have to delete them every day. I think your letter might seem to be one of those. Otherwise, we always reply each email within one working day. If you want to ask something, please use the email title with “order”, “enquiry”, or the product’s name or something like that.

I had a look at these cards in the Wangfujing Bookstore today (the Foreign Language one didn't seem to have them). They look pretty decent, but I would bear in mind that a) they're character flashcards, and I'm of the opinion that you are better off learning words than characters - not to say these aren't valuable, but it's easy to learn characters and forget the words, and B) they're decent quality paper, but not card - not sure how they'd stand up to repeated sweaty handling. For 38Y though, you can't really go wrong.

I didn't realize that traditional characters had been printed on the cards until I had them in my hands - is there a site similar to the one that I posted which has simplified flashcards ready-to-print?

You should use the links section. Try:

http://eall.hawaii.edu/yao/ic1flashcards/

http://www.itcn.nl/jeffrey/jjh-IC/IC-Flash.html