Chinese-Forums

Reports of Changes to F Visa Availability in HK

roddy

Quick heads up - about a posting on the thorntree regarding one-year F visa availability in HK - apparently, there aren't any at the moment, only 6 month visas are available. (I'm talking about the agency route, rather than applying directly at the embassy or whatever they call it).

The poster is an Australian national, if I remember correctly, so it's not a US passport issue.

Not sure how long it will last, or if it affects all agencies, but if it might affect you, you might want to come up with a plan B.

Roddy

• 4 weeks later...

From what I've heard, it may still be possible to get a one-year visa EXTENSION in Hong Kong, provided that you're in China.

Okay let's make it simple.

You get a one-month Chinese visa anywhere and enter China first. Then mail your passport to Hong Kong and you can get an extension of one year (continuous stay of one year from the time of extension, not from the time of expiration of the previous visa).

http://www.timmical.com/chinese/index.htm will charge you HK$2100 for doing this. But how are you going to pay for them, perhaps another matter. Better ask a friend in HK to help.

Well, that's terrible news. This time next month I'll need a new visa and was planning on going to HK and getting a one-year F visa like I did this time last year. I'll look into the mail your passport to HK option for visa renewal, although that sounds sketchy as others mentioned.

• 4 weeks later...

Venture160, don't worry, my friend just got a 6-month (continuous stay, multiple entries) visa from JTA, HK$450 only. It takes 3 days to process the visa.

Prodigal Son, what about your visa renewal, is it possible? I got this information from the tour agency, but I'm not quite sure if it really works, can you share you story?

• 1 month later...

Well, let me explain my situation. I had a study residence permit, but rarely attended class at the Yunnan Normal University, preferring to get up at 10 instead of 7 and study with Chinese friends. So I got no graduation certificate from them, and 5 days before my residence permit ran out I went to Hong Kong (this was late September). The lady at Forever Bright travel agency had already told me on the phone that the one-year F visas were now not available but that six-month visas were still obtainable. When I turned up, she asked for my graduation certificate from the Yunnan Normal University, saying that I could not get a business visa without proving that my studies were over, particularly as I had 5 days of my student residence permit to go. In the end I paid HK$800 for a one-month tourist visa, which was all she could do for me in the absence of a letter from the university, and I came back to Kunming. Along the way I dallied in Shenzhen and Guangzhou and spent at least 3000 yuan including the visa and train tickets etc. So my visa, now a tourist visa, runs out on the 21st. I couldn't bear going back to HK for a 6 month visa, and so I have sent my passport by EMS (特快专递) to the Emoo agency in Shanghai, who have offered to get my a one-year F visa for 4300 yuan. Expensive, but ultimately less hassle...

• 2 months later...

There's a post on the Shanghai Expat Forum by a Dutch passport-holder who apparently got a one-year "F" visa with no stay restrictions in mid-December through an agency in the China-HK Ferry Terminal.

I'm not vouching for this report, just passing it along.

http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/index.php?name=MDForum&file=viewtopic&t=53695&sid=3b226cbc90c7e3ba772ecb19415fa6f8

Can anyone help please? Two queries:

Query 1:

Has anyone applied for a F or X visa to study but then not completed the study AND NOT paid the full fees? In other words, got the F or X visa but not turned up?

If so, do you know if the school/uni have notified the PSB and had your visa cancelled?

Query 2:

With the HK agencies do you need the student/uni invitation to get an F visa?

If no, does anyone have contact details of HK agencies I can try? Does anyone have any experience with CTS in HK?

Need to do a visa run to HK end Jan. If this won't work need to sort it in China before I go!

Thx for any help.

With the HK agencies do you need the student/uni invitation to get an F visa?
I (German) had my last F-visa issued around the time reports about changes surfaced; back then, no invitation of any kind was necessary. I had it done by the hostel I stayed in (the very recommendable Wang Fat hostel), which was a bit more pricey than looking for a specialized agency, but saved me doing just that :wink:

An X Visa only allows you to enter China - inside of China, its validity is 0 days - aka you are supposed to get to the school as soon as possible.

Then the school takes your passport, your health exam results, and a bunch of other paperwork to the PSB. When it comes back, you pay money, and you have a residence permit in your passport. That is what actually allows you to stay inside of China for the six months to two years you registered to study. I haven't actually known any westerners that got a two year residency permit, and my last one was only for six months (despite having paid for a full year of tuition).

So you will have to at least go to the school and wait for that residence permit. After that, it would depend on the school if they want to notify the PSB if you are not showing up to class.

Hi gougou, When did you get your F visa done? Could you pls PM me the hostel's details (location, etc)?

Hi pandaxiongmao,

Thx for info but am already a student in Beijing and looking to possible extend my time here. I was wondering if you hadn't already fully paid for the 2nd semester fees and didn't return whether or not, in practice, the university would report you.

I guess, if you had paid the fees in full they probably wouldn't. But not sure what happens if full fees hadn't been paid. Do you know of anyone who has been through this?

Hope you don't mind, but just for ref for others (upto date a/o Jan07):

(1) F visas are normally for students studying up to 6 months and does not require a medical or the holder to register for the Foreigner's Resident Permit.

(2) X visas are normally for students studying longer than 6 months, but the Chinese Embassy decides which one (F or X) you get issued and for how long. So an X visa could be for 6 months or longer.

(3) Although an X-visa validity says 0 days, the holder has 30 days from entering China to apply for the Foreigners' Resident Permit - this is mandatory. If you apply outside the 30 days (1) the visa may not be valid (depends on PSB) and (2) you could be heavily fine, approx RMB500 per day!

(4) A medical is required before applying for the Foreigners' Resident Permit, which can be done in China (Beijing Sep06 cost approx RMB350).

(5) As a freshman, the university/institute will assist in the process at registration. From experience, the university will arrange a day to visit the medical centre with all the students requiring medicals.

(6 ) Once the visa holder has provided the relevant paperwork, permit fee (approx RMB400 cash upfront) and passport, the university will take all the applications to the PSB for processing. This normally takes about 7-14 days before you can collect your passport from the student admin office.

(7) Upon successful application, the X-visa pasted within your passport will be cancelled and replaced with a Foreigner's Resident Permit, again pasted within your passport. The resident permit will state the validity period.

(8 ) An X-visa will allow the holder to exit and re-entry China as many times as desired WITHIN the validity period, without having to apply for a new visa.

(9) Rules for F-visas are different. Multi-entry F-visas allow the holder to re-enter without having to apply for a new visa.

Single entry F-visas are cancelled upon exiting China. However, a single entry can be changed to a multi entry before leaving China, for a fee. The new multi-entry F-visa will have the same validity date as the original single entry F-visa.

(10) Both F and X visas can be extended for a fee at the PSB.

(11) Once in China, L (tourist) and F visas can be changed from single to multi entry and to F and/or X-visas, again for a fee. However, X-visas cannot be changed to any other type.

For example, if the holder is only studying for one semester (5 months), an X-visa requires both a medical and application for a Foreigners' Resident Permit; a F-visa requires neither.

I had my Visa done in June 2006. I'll just put the hostel's contact details online here, they deserve the attention.

It's called the Hong Kong Hostel, or Wang Fat Hostel. They're located on the 3rd floor of Block A, 47 Paterson Street in Causeway Bay. You can reach them by phone +852-2392 6868 or email: info@hostel.hk.

I paid HK$300 for a single room (queen-sized bed), which I consider a great price, especially considering the location. If you decide to go there, try to have them give you a room in the building across the street. Rooms are much nicer there!

Just a few links I found:

X Visa info: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84243.htm

Visa info: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/default.htm

If you want to apply in Hong Kong I suggest JTA:

http://www.jta.biz/chinavisa/china_visa.htm

USA passports are tricky and JTA does not handle them.

When last I looked into this, you had to go back to Hong Kong (or wherever) to renew your F visa upon its first expiration; subsequently it could be renewed in China.

Does anyone know if this is true and still the case?

I'm planning a visa run when my new F runs out - would be awesome to just rock up to the PSB instead of going to HK.

thanks in advance!