Chinese-Forums

Classroom learning vs Self learning

yonitabonita

Hi,

After what feels like a trillion years inside university institutions, I'm feeling like it's time to break out and learn something (Chinese) on my own.

Advantages of breaking out of the classroom, hiring private tutors, and going through textbooks on my own are: I can learn at my own pace, progress much faster than I would in a classroom environment, and get more language practice since it would be a lot more interactive. I don't need another university certificate, so I shouldn't feel bound to an institution.

Foreseeable disadvantages: I could turn into Gollum, it could get lonely, other people are fun, I could lose motivation, and I'd be left out of really frustrating but equally interesting cultural experiences that being part of an institution involves. (ie, stupid cultural performances). Also, maybe that certificate saying that I spent a year at the BLCU might come in handy afterall.

I know that others have learnt Chinese on their own. I want to know why you're on this path, whether you chose this path, or whether you've had to do it on your own because you've had other time consuming commitments (ie jobs). I'd be interested to hear your experiences, perspectives on other advantages, disadvantages, that I hadn't thought of.

Grateful for your responses.

Y

How good is your Chinese? Have you taken an HSK, if for no other reason than to just have standard to judge where your Chinese is at?

If you find studying in the classroom is unproductive and or just wasting your time in the sense that you could learn as much studying on your own, then you should consider self-study. But, you certainly need to work out a system where you can get together with a Chinese teacher at least once a week. Even the best of athletes have coaches

when i first came here, I figured that holding a university teaching job would give me enough time to really study the language on my own, with my books and the method of my choosing.

I was lucky enough to find a Chinese teacher at my school who spoke perfect English and wanted to learn French... we traded lessons twice a weeks for about 4 hours at a time... that was the most progress I made in any field in such a short time.

then schedules got complicated, I got involved in my business opportunities and just lost track of my books in general.. that's when i decided the start the bootcamp program because unless i'm away from the distractions of phone, internet and what not, I just cannot sit down and study on a regular basis. I am not that disciplined anymore.. or maybe i never was. :help

So yes, there is something to be said about studying at your own pace and all...but you have to discipline yourself and stay the path and that is the hardest thing about self-directed study.

Agree with Badr. Discipline, discipline, discipline. Not just in terms of actually studying (although that's clearly part of the game), but also studying well - making sure you're not just concentrating on the stuff you find easy or interesting at the expense of other skills, and that you are actually learning what you've studied, rather than just ticking off chapters in the book.

I think it really helps to have targets to work towards - taking the HSK helps, although at elem / int level it won't do anything for your speaking or writing. A top notch teacher is invaluable, and it needs to be someone with the ability to identify your faults and the confidence to challenge you about them.

It is helpful to have other in the same boat to compare experiences with, but spend a morning in somewhere like Sculpting in Time and you'll meet plenty of people doing the same thing as you.

Wish I'd taken my own advice . . .

Roddy

Hi,

I'm learning on my own too but have a very simple reason: in Hungary are not too much teacher who teaches chinese. Here is one great school but I didn't like it it was slow for me, so I started on my own.

There are a lot of database for students in the web so it's good. Of course after little time it's necessery to speak with a person who spoke chinese because there is a lot of question, no answers in books.

But this forum is the best place for it.

And the most important is DON'T GIVE UP! (I usually tell myself) :roll: