Chinese-Forums

Is House of Flying Daggers Mandarin?

Bruce_B

Is House of Flying Daggers Mandarin? What about Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? I thought they were both Mandarin but Amazon.com shows Cantonese for both of them. IMDB shows them as Mandarin though. Or are there Cantonese versions that amazon is selling?

Thanks,

Bruce

Strange. I guess they just missed it. Amazon.fr lists Crouching Tiger ("Tigre & Dragon") as Mandarin, and in the extras Michelle Yeoh complains that she had problems getting the Mandarin tones right.

I'm pretty sure Flying Daggers is Mandarin as well. Amazon.fr doesn't even give the language, as far as I can tell, but Fnac.fr says that it ("Le Secret des poignards volants") is Mandarin.

I just read that many Mandarin speakers complained about the accents in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon so maybe that's not a good one for my purposes. Still a good movie though. Maybe I'll just get House of Flying Daggers locally so I can check the package for language. I don't want a Cantonese dub since I'm trying to learn Mandarin.

Cheers,

Bruce

They are filmed in Mandarin, but with as with most films, cantonese dubbed versions are available.

I am not aware of this ... I watched both films in cinemas in Cantonese-speaking Hong Kong and both of them were in Mandarin ...

Now that you mention it, it would make since for a DVD release to leave the Mandarin track even if a Cantonese dub was on there. Amazon just through me because they listed both of them:

"Language: Cantonese Chinese"