Chinese-Forums

Chinese dictionary on a Symbian phone??

venture160

I am looking for a smartphone to act as my phone/email/chinese dictionary. I really don't like the Palm OS, and I don't like windows (mac user) is there anything comparable to PlecoDict on the symbian OS, I want to buy the nokia e61. Thanks

• 1 year later...

Most of the China/HK retail-sold Nokias come with a simple CE-EC dictionary, and all of the grey-market Nokias I've seen have it as well. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the actual executable on my phone (although I was able to find the word database), otherwise I'd offer to help you to install it. Why don't you visit a place that sells grey market phones and ask if they can install it you? Maybe these guys can help you:

http://www.yymobile.com.cn/

Most of the China/HK retail-sold Nokias come with a simple CE-EC dictionary
Yeah, I had that one, but only in traditional characters.

The Oxford one roddy linked too looks like what I'm looking for, though for some reason they don't seem to offer it on the HK page. I also had a look at 金山, but I think I read a bad user review or something, so I stopped looking for it. Or did I just forget?

Yeah, I had that one, but only in traditional characters.

If that's the case then I can give you the simplified word file, I'm pretty sure that it will work. I've swapped traditional/simplified word files between Nokia phones before (phones purchased in HK come with the traditional dictionary), though there was a minor UI issue due to the different screen resolutions. But your N82 uses the standard 320x240 display, so there shouldn't be any problems. Anyways, if it doesn't work, you can always swap back to the original word file.

============================================================

I just uploaded the simplified word list here:

http://download.yousendit.com/F6A231D24A8CFFEC

Steps for installing:

1) Access the memory card using either a memory card reader or by connecting your phone to your PC using "mass storage mode" (note: PC Suite mode won't work for this).

2) Make a backup copy of the "private101f9cfe" directory on the memory card, in case you decide to revert the changes.

3) Extract the contents (including the directory) of the zip file given in the link above into the "private" directory on the memory card.

4) Open the dictionary and it should be in simplified characters now.

5) Show your gratitude by buying me pizza and beer.

That's it!

If that's the case then I can give you the simplified word file
That would work - as long as I can find the dictionary on their webpage! After I found out that it was traditional, I deleted it. Including the installer, to be sure... Will check when I get home, I think it was available somewhere.

• 2 years later...

Hey folks

I would like to re-activate this question since the new generation of symbian phones would also allow to work with handwriting-recognition on touchscreens (Sony-Ericsson Satio/Idou)

Does anyone know if there is any programm comparable to Pleco is available by now?

thank you for your help