Chinese-Forums

QQ Help!

RedLink

Hello, I'm sorry but I've got a little request and I would be forever thankful for anyone that helps me. I met a friend a few days ago and he gave me his QQ number. He didn't have a ICQ or MSN. Anyway I installed it and tryed to register but since it all in Chinese it got a little complicated when I had to write a confirmation thingy in Chinese.

Anyone that want to help me register for a QQ.com Instant messaging client please send me a message at snowy86@redlink-studios.com and we maybe even can become friends. I've got MSN and ICQ so feel free to ask!

Best Regards, Erik

Since I have about as much knowledge of the Chinese language as a 4 year old, I can't enter the confirmation code. Once, the characters were simple enough for me to recognize and I clicked next and got a blank page. That was really sad. Would someone please be so kind as to register for me and email me? I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Katy

• 11 months later...

Hi

I got admission in Renmin. One friend told me that install QQ and you can make many friends. I installed both chinese and english versions but i am unable to register becasue a page show up with a form and its all in chinese. Would someone help in in registration process.

Thanks

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi RedLink, I work at Tencent (the company that makes QQ) and I have created an English help site for registering and using QQ:

http://www.startinchina.com/qq_signup_help.html

More to the point, I advice to use TM2008 at the moment, untill a new English QQ version is released. Hope this helps!

That's awesome Tencent is finally making a native Mac client. I just tried it (linked off the instruction page mentioned in the above post).

It can display the interface in English or Chinese based on what you have selected in System Preferences.

That said, LumaQQ has a lot more features on the Mac, and is also able to display the interface in English. For example, I did not see where I could edit my own profile with the QQ Mac Preview. The only area LumaQQ lags the native Mac QQ client is in login speed.

Of course, this still does not overcome the problem of registering if you can't input Chinese characters you don't know. That problem would be solved by using something like Wenlin to draw the characters that are seen and then copy the text of those characters into the registration confirmation box.

Of course, this still does not overcome the problem of registering if you can't input Chinese characters you don't know. That problem would be solved by using something like Wenlin to draw the characters that are seen and then copy the text of those characters into the registration confirmation box.

That is certainly one way. Another way is use http://signup.qq.com and don't bother about Chinese characters at all.

Just a sidenote: When you use http://signup.qq.com to get your well deserved QQ number you can not use a on-screen name with Chinese characters. You can use any other name though. QQ screen names don't have to be unique. 2 Seconds later, after you have your number, you can login and change to a Chinese name if you want to.

flameproof is exactly right. Before the English Signup page existed, I also couldn't register an account by myself. With the http://signup.qq.com this is no longer a problem.

About the Mac version : I believe they are still hard at work at improving the Mac version, so look forward to more features in the future. Personally I'm very glad that Tencent is supporting more platforms and not just Windows anymore. For example they are now also working on a Linux version :)

I hate the QQ software. It's such a bloated monstrosity with a really kindergarteny, overblown, ridiculous interface. I consider it the "myspace" of Chinese IMing, fundamentally a poorly designed travesty, but the king of the hill due to other factors, including now outright inertia in that "everyone uses it." I refuse to surrender to QQ's software, but still have to communicate with people so I use Pidgin, which is far more streamlined and with which you can log into the QQ network. :)

I have no choice but to try to use qq because my China mainland friends are using it. I managed easily to register on the TM2008 but when I try to search for my friends using their qq no. it brings up other people. I've tried going into a group search but a message says I am not valid or something similar. Can anyone explain this? Also, Entrophy, could you let me have the link pls? As long as I can contact my friends I will try anything & have people who can help me on this of course, will be good friends.

Thanks guys and especially Entropy. I downloaded Pidgin, did not understand how to set it up though. Anyway, opened my TM2008 account and in my friends box it showed the proper name of my group friends QQ no and I managed to get onto their site. So whether Pidgin helped sort out the TM2008 software I do not know but at last I finally managed to get a step further. Now its mastering the actual use of QQ since my group friends QQ no. site is all in Chinese...